Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Introduction to types of business decisions and selection of appropriate quantitative or qualitative data gathering techniques. Characteristics of data types, application of tools, interpretations of results and ethical issues.
|Paper title||Interpreting Business Data|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester, Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$872.70|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,405.05|
- BSNS 102, STAT 110, STAT 115
- Schedule C
- This is a required paper for BCom from 2017 (to be taken in place of BSNS 102 by students completing under earlier regulations).
- More information link
- View more information on the Otago Business School's website
- Teaching staff
Warren McNoe (Economics)
- To be advised.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Critical Thinking, Research, Interdisciplinary Perspective, Scholarship, Ethics.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will:
- Be able to describe different types of business decisions and their associated characteristics
- Understand the process of business decisions, including the articulation of relevant questions, data collection, data analysis and interpretation
- Be able to select an appropriate quantitative or qualitative technique to answer a given question, taking into account its strengths and weaknesses and the characteristics of the data
- Be familiar with some of the tools used to perform quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Demonstrate awareness of ethical and privacy issues relating to data collection and analysis
- Be able to interpret critically the result of data analysis