Ordinary differential equations for modelling physical and other phenomena. Complementary mathematical approaches for solving ordinary differential equations, including analytical methods, graphical analysis and numerical techniques.
|Paper title||Differential Equations|
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,141.35|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- MATH 140
- MATH 262
- Schedule C
- Teaching staff
Teaching staff to be advised. Please contact the Department for more information.
- Paper Structure
- First Order Differential Equations
- Linear Differential Equations of higher order
- Systems of Linear Differential Equations
- Analytical and numerical solutions to differential equations
- Laplace Transforms
- Introduction to nonlinear systems and chaos
- Teaching Arrangements
Five lectures per fortnight and two hours of computer labs per week
There are no mandatory textbooks for this paper.
Blanchard, P., Devaney, R. L. and Hall, G. R., 2012, Differential Equations, 4th ed., Brooks/Cole.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Scholarship, Critical thinking, Information literacy.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will develop
- Information and computational literacy
- Interdisciplinary thinking
- Communication and writing skills