Preparation of a thesis proposal/preliminary thesis research. Normally taken by students in the papers year for a Master's degree by papers and thesis.
This paper involves the preparation of a detailed research proposal - expected to be up to 4,000 words long - suitable for a master's thesis. This involves selecting a carefully specified problem, critically reviewing the existing literature pertaining to that problem, identifying a significant gap in that literature and planning a research project that should be capable of adequately addressing that gap. Students will work independently under the guidance of a supervisor.
|Paper title||Master's Thesis Preparation|
|Points||20 points 20 points 20 points|
|Teaching period(s)||Full Year, First Semester, Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,079.88|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,786.79|
- ECON 375
- ECON 480, ECON 490, ECON 492, ECON 495
- Limited to
- MA, MBus, MCom, MSc
- Teaching staff
- A supervisor will be assigned based on the approved topic.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical
thinking, Ethics, Information literacy.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon successful completion of ECON 485, a student should
- Be able to prepare a detailed research proposal that could form the basis for a master's thesis
- Have developed a depth of knowledge in a specific field of research
- Demonstrate an understanding of appropriate research methodologies
- Demonstrate an awareness of ethical issues
- Have a high standard of written communication skills