Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Boundary layer theory in fluid flow, energy and momentum transfer, dimensional analysis, correlations. Heat exchanger design and combustion technology including modelling and design.
This paper examines the physics of fluid dynamics, including their role in real applications such as pipe-work, flow measurement devices, pumps and compressors. Conduction, convection and radiation heat transfer are also addressed.
|Paper title||Fluids and Heat Transfer|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,092.15|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,004.75|
- EMAN 201
- Recommended Preparation
- MATH 203
- Schedule C
- More information link
- View more information about EMAN 301
- Teaching staff
- Assoc Prof Zhifa Sun
- Fundamentals of Momentum, Heat, and Mass Transfer, 5th Edition, Welty, Wicks, Wilson and Rorrer, John Wiley & Sons
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship,
Communication, Critical thinking, Environmental literacy, Information literacy, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- After completing this paper students will be able to:
- State the conservation laws of mass, momentum and energy and apply these laws to solve problems of energy systems
- Analyse incompressible and compressible flows in pipes and channels
- Understand the principles of pumps, fans and compressors and analyse performance of pumping systems
- Apply flow-measurement devices to measure flow rate, pressure and velocity of fluid flows
- Understand theories of conduction, convection and radiation heat transfer and heat exchangers and solve heat-transfer problems