Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
An introduction to the fundamentals of effective speaking and writing, exploring a variety of contexts in which language is used. Enables students to communicate more effectively in tutorials, labs and written assignments. Complements ENGL127.
This paper prepares students for the crucial written and oral communication skills needed to succeed at University and in the workplace. Students learn essential elements of writing and speaking, including report writing and presentation skills. This paper complements ENGL 127, but the two may be taken separately.
|Paper title||Effective Communication|
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$913.95|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,073.40|
- ENGL 124, SURV 113
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- More information link
- Teaching staff
Convenor: Dr Michael Cop
Lecturer: Nicola Cummins
- Paper Structure
- Part One: Critical writing skills
Part Two: Critical speaking skills
- Teaching Arrangements
- One 1-hour lecture and one 2-hour tutorial class each week, for 13 weeks.
- All course material is available on Blackboard.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding,
Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will
- Have an adequate understanding of English grammar
- Have acquired skills to write clearly and concisely
- Be able to read texts critically
- Be able to write formal letters at a professional level
- Have learned how to write effective reports
- Have learned features of interpersonal communication
- Have acquired techniques to speak confidently to an audience