An introduction to the fundamentals of effective speaking and writing, exploring a variety of contexts in which language is used. Enables students to communicate more effectively in tutorials, labs and written assignments. Complements ENGL 127.
This paper prepares students for the crucial written and oral communication skills needed to succeed at University and in the workplace. Students learn essential elements of writing and speaking, including report writing and presentation skills. This paper complements ENGL 127, but the two may be taken separately.
|Paper title||Effective Communication|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$886.35|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,766.35|
- SURV 113, ENGL 124
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- Teaching staff
Convenor: Dr Simone Celine Marshall
Lecturer: Nicola Cummins
- Paper Structure
- Part One: Critical writing skills
Part Two: Critical speaking skills
- Teaching Arrangements
- One 1-hour lecture and one 2-hour tutorial class each week, for 13 weeks.
- All course material is available on Blackboard.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding,
Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon completing this paper students will:
- Have an adequate understanding of English grammar
- Have acquired skills to write clearly and concisely
- Be able to read texts critically
- Be able to write formal letters at a professional level
- Have learned how to write effective reports
- Have learned features of interpersonal communication
- Have acquired techniques to speak confidently to an audience
- More information link
- View more information on the Department of English and Linguistics website