A critical examination of academic leadership using contemporary leadership theories. Understanding how academic leadership is situated in a contemporary higher education sector.
HEDU 504 is a compulsory paper within the Master of Higher Education programme (MHEd).
|Paper title||Academic Leadership in Higher Education|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,967.75|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$6,528.00|
- Limited to
- University teachers and researchers who are either currently working or intending to work in Higher Education, as part of the MHEd
- More information link
- View more information on the Higher Education Development Centre's website
- Teaching staff
- Lecturers: Dr Vivienne Anderson and Professor Kerry Shephard
- Paper Structure
- The paper covers three main areas:
- Academic leadership
- Mentoring in higher education
- Philosophy of leadership in higher education
- Teaching Arrangements
- Nine 2-hour classes and a two-hour symposium.
- A reading list will be provided.
- Course outline
- Available on request from HEDC
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, Ethics, Research.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- By the end of this paper participants will be able to:
- Critique the literature on academic leadership
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of academic mentoring
- Apply their understanding of leadership theories in the design of a mentoring programme
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the purposes of higher education to situate academic leadership in this broader context