Examination of key principles of research in the humanities, to develop broad understanding of a range of methods and hone skills in a method of each student’s choice.
This paper is one option for the MA coursework option. It is suitable for any postgraduate student in the Humanities.
|Paper title||Research Methods in the Humanities|
|Points||30 points 30 points|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester, First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,007.00|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,250.00|
- Limited to
- Limited to: MA
- Available to any student at the postgraduate level.
- Dr Bryndl Hohmann-Marriott (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- More information link
- View more information about HUMS papers and the Master of Arts coursework option
- Teaching staff
- Dr Bryndl Hohmann-Marriott
Dr Melanie Beres
- Paper Structure
- The first half of the paper will cover core topics, including Epistemology/Ontology,
Research Ethics, Power in Research, Indigenous Research, and Understanding Research
The second half will focus in-depth on disciplinary methods.
Assessment is 100% internal.
- Readings will be detailed in the course outline and will be available online or from the library
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Scholarship, Self-motivation, Information Literacy, Research, Communication, Critical
Thinking, Ethics, Interdisciplinary Perspective, Teamwork, Lifelong Learning, Cultural
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students successfully completing the paper will be able to:
- Evaluate the breadth of methodological approaches in the Humanities. (Interdisciplinary Perspective and Teamwork)
- Critically analyse the application of methodologies and the role of the researcher. (Ethics and Cultural Understanding)
- Position one's own disciplinary approach to method within the broader scope of the humanities. (Critical Thinking, Communication and Information Literacy)
- Create a depth of understanding of at least one method in own discipline. (Research, Scholarship, and Self-Motivation)