Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Explores a range of statistical techniques for data analysis, from statistical modelling of univariate data to the visualisation of patterns in multivariate data.
An introduction to statistical modelling and multivariate analysis that includes generalised linear models and procedures for analysing patterns in multiple quantitative measurements. The paper combines background theory with practice in applying the methods to real datasets.
|Paper title||Statistical Techniques for Data Science|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester, First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,348.60|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,967.53|
- STAT 110
- STAT 210
- Limited to
- MBusDataSc, BCom(Hons), BSc(Hons), BA(Hons), PGDipCom, PGDipSci, PGDipArts, BAppSc(Hons), MAppSc, MSc, MBus, PGCertAppSc, PGDipAppSc
- Students studying for the MBusDataSc; any student interested in techniques that can be used to model a very broad range of datasets.
- Teaching staff
- Dr Matthew Parry
- Paper Structure
- Linear and logistic regression
- Multivariate analysis
- Design of experiments
- Principal components analysis
- Penalised methods
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the central concepts.