An introduction to the basic analytical and critical skills as they apply to the study of moving images, specifically film. Issues of form, style and genre are addressed.
This paper is required of all Film and Media Studies students and is also highly recommended for anyone wishing to pursue any film- or media-related profession. Students will learn approaches to film analysis, including stylistic analysis of film (for example, how film techniques are used to tell stories); formal analysis (for example, how stories are structured in narrative cinema and how documentaries and experimental film follow different structuring principles); film stardom; film genre; and film authorship.
|Paper title||Screen Form and Culture|
|Subject||Media, Film and Communication|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$868.95|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,656.70|
- FIME 101
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- More information link
- View more information about MFCO 101
- Teaching staff
- Convenor and Lecturer: Dr Paul Ramaeker
- Paper Structure
- This paper features modules on:
- Film style, including editing, cinematography, mise-en-scÃ¨ne and sound
- Film form, including classical narrative, art cinema, experimental film and documentary
- Star culture
- Television and new media
- Library exercise 8%
- Online quiz 7%
- Descriptive and analytical essay 15%
- Critical essay 25%
- Final examination 45%
- Teaching Arrangements
- Lectures, screenings and tutorials.
Film Art: An Introduction, 10th edition, David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson
Individual readings on Blackboard
All required reading will also be on reserve at the University Library.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will
- Demonstrate knowledge of stylistic and formal analysis of film
- Demonstrate knowledge of critical approaches to film
- Demonstrate skill in the written expression of ideas