A supervised laboratory project involving original research and leading to the production of a research report.
Physiology original research project.
|Paper title||Research Project|
|Teaching period||Full Year (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,024.60|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- Limited to
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission.
View more information about departmental permission.
- More information link
View more information on the Department of Physiology's website
- Teaching staff
Course Convener: Professor Colin Brown
Students will work with a previously agreed upon supervisor within the Department.
- Paper Structure
Students taking this paper will conduct experiments to test a novel hypothesis to generate publishable results. A research agreement between students and supervisors will outline a specific timeline for the research project.
The research dissertation makes up 33% of the overall workload for the PGDipSci year.
- Teaching Arrangements
Students will be assessed on a written dissertation describing the research project and results (10,000 word limit). The paper extends throughout the academic year.
Readings consist of original research articles.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship,
Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will:
- Acquire deep knowledge and understanding of individual field of research
- Develop high intellectual appreciation of the value of research to generating new knowledge, including critical evaluation, interpretation, deductive reasoning and rigour
- Develop oral and written scientific communication skills