Details available from the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
Students will use real data and examples of Official Statistics from Statistics New Zealand and elsewhere and will be expected to use a computer package to perform data analysis and to present data and analysis results.
|Paper title||Topic in Advanced Statistics|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,206.91|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
Students should see the Course Co-ordinator for approval. The prerequisite conditions at second-year Statistics may not be compulsory for students majoring in the Social Sciences or Business because the paper content may complement the topics covered in such majors.
Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission.
View more information about departmental permission.
- Teaching staff
The paper will be taught by academic staff from several universities.
The paper will be delivered by lectures using videoconferencing technology between a number of NZ universities.
Students have a local contact person and a course co-ordinator.
- Teaching Arrangements
There will be 12 two-hour lectures, one on each of the 12 topics listed under the lecture outline.
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
Recommended reading - the following books are held in the Department library:
- Thomas Lumley. Complex Surveys: A Guide to Analysis Using R. Wiley (2010)
- Groves et al. Survey Methodology. (2nd Edition) Wiley (2009)
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, Ethics, Information literacy, Research.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will develop an ability to search out appropriate data for answering research questions about New Zealand and to summarise these large data sets using ethical issues and data confidentiality.