Introduction to essential concepts and techniques in molecular genetics. Ideal introduction to research projects on gene expression or population/conservation/ecological genetics for those with minimal hands-on experience in genetics.
Polymerase chain reaction revolutionised research in the life sciences. The effects of this revolution can be felt across all sub-disciplines of contemporary biology; a general working knowledge, both theoretical and practical, of molecular biology is, therefore, often desirable to understanding scientific articles and answering research questions in animal science.
|Paper title||Essentials of Molecular Zoology|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,307.76|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,517.77|
- GENE 311, GENE 312, GENE 313, GENE 314, GENE 360
- Limited to
- BSc(Hons), MSc, PGDipSci
- Suitable for graduates in the biological sciences who do not have much prior knowledge of genetics
- Teaching staff
- Teaching Arrangements
- This postgraduate paper contains a significant (individual) laboratory component.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- The goal of this paper is to enable students to fully appreciate the power of molecular genetics and its use in answering scientific questions.