Tuesday 2 November 2021 10:30am
Wear your sneakers to work on Friday 19 November, and support Diabetes Action Month's first ever Sneaker Friday!
Diabetes Action Month, which is run by Diabetes New Zealand each November, has a key focus on footcare for 2021. The theme, Step up for Diabetes, is in response to some startling data generated in a recent report into the Economic and Social Cost of Type 2 Diabetes.
A key intervention modelled in the diabetes report showed that improving footcare for those with type 2 diabetes could prevent up to 600 amputations a year. This would reduce suffering for those living with this disease and save millions in healthcare dollars.
EDOR Director Professor Rachael Taylor, and Co-Director Professor Jim Mann, were on the expert advisory group for the report, which was commissioned by EDOR in conjunction with Diabetes New Zealand (DNZ), Healthier Lives–He Oranga Hauora National Science Challenge (HLNSC) and philanthropists Tony and Heather Falkenstein.
How to participate in Sneaker Friday
There are a number of ways that you can support this fun event, and get your workmates involved.
- Wear your most colourful sneakers to work on Friday 19 November
- Encourage others in your workplace to participate in this event
- Email us your creative individual or group sneaker photos for our website: email@example.com
- Post your sneaker photos on Twitter and tag us in: @EDOR_NZ
- Include the hashtag #sneakerfriday in your social media posts
- Download the DNZ footcare poster and display this in your workplace
- Choose team EDOR at Otago University if you would like to donate $5 in support of this event
Sneaker Friday prizes
DNZ have some prizes up for grabs on Sneaker Friday, including a Fitbit Versa 3.
To be eligible, post your sneaker photos on Facebook or Instagram on Friday 19 November and include the hashtag #sneakerfriday. Or head on over to the DNZ Facebook page on Sneaker Friday.
Read more about Sneaker Friday
Diabetes Action Month has a range of activities throughout November.
- View the events on the Diabetes Action Month website
- Read more about Sneaker Friday
- Watch the Sneaker Friday video
- Support team EDOR at the University of Otago to raise funds for DNZ