Amber holds a MSc, PGDipDiet and PhD. She was an Assistant Research Fellow at Edgar Diabetes and Obesity Research. Her doctoral research was managing the dietary intervention for the Diabetes Excess Weight Loss (DEWL) trial.
DEWL was a multi-centre clinical trial, comparing the effects of a high carbohydrate diet with a high protein diet in 418 overweight individuals with type 2 diabetes, on:
- glycaemic control
- blood pressure
Amber currently is a Research Fellow in the Endocrine, Diabetes and Research Centre at Capital and Coast District Health Board. She remains involved in many areas of diabetes research that include dietary factors – such as treatment, education and prevention.
Current trials investigate the effect of honey on glycaemic control, metformin therapy and vitamin B12 status and management of type 1 diabetes with a low carbohydrate diet.
- Gamble E, Parry-Strong A, Coppell KJ, McBain L, Bingham LJ, Dutton L, Tapu-Ta'ala S, Smith RBW, Howells J, Metekingi H, Krebs JD. (2017) Development of a structured diabetes self-management education program specific to the cultural and ethnic population of New Zealand. Nutrition and Dietetics. 74(4):415-422.
- Parry-Strong A, Langdana F, Haeusler S, Weatherall M, Krebs J. (2016) Sublingual vitamin B12 compared to intramuscular injection in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with metformin: a randomised trial. New Zealand Medical Journal. 10;129(1436):67-75.
- Krebs JD, Parry Strong A, Cresswell P, Reynolds AN, Hanna A, Haeusler S. A randomised trial of the feasibility of a low carbohydrate diet vs standard carbohydrate counting in adults with type 1 diabetes taking body weight into account. (2016) Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 25(1):78-84.
- Cresswell P, Krebs J, Gilmour J, Hanna A, Parry-Strong A. From 'pleasure to chemistry': the experience of carbohydrate counting with and without carbohydrate restriction for people with Type 1 diabetes. (2015) Journal of Primary Health Care. 7(4):291-8.
- Whitfield P, Parry-Strong A, Walsh E, Weatherall M, Krebs JD. The effect of a cinnamon-, chromium- and magnesium-formulated honey on glycaemic control, weight loss and lipid parameters in type 2 diabetes: an open-label cross-over randomised controlled trial. (2016) European Journal of Nutrition. 55(3):1123-31.
- Gendall P, Hoek J, Taylor R, Mann J, Krebs J, Parry-Strong A. Should support for obesity interventions or perceptions of their perceived effectiveness shape policy? (2015) Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. 39(2):172-6.
- Haeusler S, Parry-Strong A, Krebs JD. The prevalence of low vitamin B12 status in people with type 2 diabetes receiving metformin therapy in New Zealand--a clinical audit. (2014) New Zealand Medical Journal. 127(1404):8-16.
- Lever M, McEntyre CJ, George PM, Slow S, Elmslie JL, Lunt H, Chambers ST, Parry-Strong A, Krebs JD. Extreme urinary betaine losses in type 2 diabetes combined with bezafibrate treatment are associated with losses of dimethylglycine and choline but not with increased losses of other osmolytes. (2014) Cardiovascular Drugs and Therapy. 28(5):459-68.
- Parry-Strong A., Lyon, J., Stern, K., Vavasour, C., Milne, J. (2014). Five year survey of Wellington practice nurses delivering dietary advice to people with type 2 diabetes. Nutrition and Dietetics 71, 22-27
- Carroll, R.W., Hall, R.M., Parry-Strong, A., Wilson, J.M., Krebs, J.D. (2013). Therapeutic Options in the Management of Obesity. New Zealand Medical Journal. 22 November, Vol 126 No 1386; ISSN 1175 8716
- Parry-Strong A., Leikis, M., Krebs, J.D. (2013). High protein diets and renal disease – is there a relationship in people with type 2 diabetes? British Journal of Diabetes and Vascular Disease September 5 doi: 10.1177/1474651413503020
- Jeremy D Krebs and Amber Parry-Strong. (2013). Is there an optimal diet for patients with type 2 diabetes? Yes, the one that works for them! The British Journal of Diabetes & Vascular Disease 13(2), 60–66
- Krebs, J.D., Parry-Strong, A., Gamble, E., McBain, L., Bingham, L.J., Dutton, E.S., Tapu-Ta’ala, S., Howells, J., Metekingi, H., Smith, R.B.W., Coppell, K.J. (2013). A structured, group-based diabetes self-management education (DSME) programme for people, families and whanau with type 2 diabetes (T2DM) in New Zealand: An observational study. Primary Care Diabetes Mar 18; (13), 1751-9918
- Krebs, J.D., Bell, D., Hall, R., Parry-Strong, A., Docherty, P., Clarke, K., Chase, J.G. (2013). Improvements in Glucose Metabolism and Insulin Sensitivity with a Low-Carbohydrate Diet in Obese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 32(1), 11-17
- Krebs, J.D., Parry-Strong, A., Weatherall, M., Carroll, R.W., Downie, M. (2012). A cross-over study of the acute effects of espresso coffee on glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental 61(9), 1231-1237
- Krebs, J.D., Elley, C.R., Parry-Strong, A., Lunt, H., Drury, P.L., Bell, D.A., Robinson, E., Moyes, S.A., and Mann, J.I. (2012). The Diabetes Excess Weight Loss (DEWL) Trial: a randomised controlled trial of high-protein versus high-carbohydrate diets over 2 years in type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia: 55(4), 905-914
- Taylor, R.W., McAuley, K.A., Barbezat, W., Strong, A., Williams, S.M., Mann, J.I. (2007). The APPLE project: two-year findings of a community-based obesity prevention programme in primary-school aged children. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 86, 735-42