Accredited Professional Learning and Development Facilitator
(Specialisation: Mathematics) ACC 285
B. Ed, Dip Tchg
I have supported kaiako, middle leaders and principals with professional development in primary mathematics for over 15 years, and I hold the South Island regional leadership role in PfS for ALiM and MST.
I have been the co-ordinator of the Southland Mathematics Symposium since 2014, presented at national and international conferences, and have collaborated on curriculum initiatives.
I develop strong relationships in schools, clusters and regions, which encourage kaiako to take risks to grow professionally, resulting in improved pedagogical and mathematics content knowledge.
I build strong understanding of current best practice in Mathematics through:
- Modelling, then mentoring and coaching kaiako to develop their own pathways of change
- Providing opportunities for kaiako to review current relevant literature and applying this to their practice
- Assisting in revising curriculum plans to ensure they relate directly to Te Mātaiaho and individual school needs
- Encouraging strong relationships with whānau
My expertise includes
I have expertise in the following areas:
- Mātaioho/Local curriculum design, with a focus on Mathematics and Statistics
- Assessment for learning
Programmes for Ākonga (PfS):
- Supporting schools to develop a responsive Tier 2 intervention in maths, based on individual school context and needs
- Working with leaders and kaiako to engage with proven teaching approaches, based on current effective research and best practice
- Supporting schools in consultation with iwi and whanau
- Supporting kaiako and leaders to host information sessions for whanau with a Mathematics lens
Key Competencies (Including social and emotional learning):
- Supporting kaiako to increase awareness of Key Competencies within their classroom practice
- Focusing on dispositions of ākonga and increasing their feelings of self-efficacy and ability in maths
- Supporting kaiako to increase their understanding of the learning progressions involved in the Number strand of mathematics