Reading Recovery Tutor
Bachelor of Education, University of Otago
Postgraduate Diploma in Education with Distinction (Reading Recovery specialisation), University of Auckland
As a Reading Recovery Tutor I train experienced junior school kaiako to provide intensive, supplementary teaching and learning for tamaiti who are not yet underway with their literacy learning. In the year-long training kaiako learn to:
- develop an understanding of reading and writing processes
- become skilled at using a range of systematic observation techniques to assess and guide children's reading and writing progress
- work in partnership with children’s whānau
- learn how to design individual instruction that assists the child to produce effective strategies for working on text
- gain experience with critically evaluating their work and that of their teaching peers
- provide three tiers of early literacy support, extending kaiako expertise to benefit more tamariki
- learn how to implement Reading Recovery and Early Literacy Support effectively and report regularly on its operation in their schools
After the year-long training I continue to work with Reading Recovery and Early Literacy Support kaiako through ongoing professional development, observations, and shared reflective dialogue. I work alongside school leadership teams to support literacy teaching and learning for tamariki in their first few years of primary schooling. I keep abreast of current research in literacy teaching and learning and am passionate about growing teachers’ expertise to help children become independent, capable readers and writers who are able to access the wider school curriculum.
I offer workshops for school leadership teams to support them to best implement Reading Recovery and Early Literacy Support in their setting. I also offer workshops for classroom teachers on administering and analysing Running Records and the Observation Survey.
My expertise includes
- Providing literacy leadership to schools in the Otago and Canterbury regions as a Reading Recovery Tutor
- Teaching and leading in junior primary school settings with a particular focus on literacy
- Current, relevant experience with implementing the New Zealand Curriculum as a culturally responsive educator
- Up-to-date knowledge of the refreshed curriculum, Te Mātaiaho
- Working with schools to effectively implement Reading Recovery and Early Literacy Support in their unique setting.