An opportunity for Social Sciences teachers to extend their knowledge and skills, essential to tailoring teaching in the Social Sciences, in order to address the intent of the NZ Curriculum.
We support teachers by:
- Providing professional development in the teaching, learning and assessment of Social Science Year 7 – 11 to incorporate Social Inquiry processes and thinking
- Building pedagogical practice in the Social Sciences to support 21st century learners
- Helping teachers to inquire into their practice by using their knowledge, data and relevant tools
- Evaluating the impact of an inquiry into practice
Support may be provided in-person or remotely providing support for a team of teachers in a school, or working with a group of schools as a cluster. This support includes contact in-person or online to meet with focus teachers, and regular wananga to share the progress of learners and discuss the impact of effective teaching practice.
The facilitation support might include:
- Developing teachers' knowledge of literacy approaches to support the range of Social Sciences as well as the development appropriate process skills
- Building skills in ways of using data to improve learning and achievement in Social Sciences
- Sharing practices that help students to learn and achieve in the Social Sciences
- Tailoring a programme to meet the needs of students using authentic and complex settings.
Phone: (03) 479 4907