Our Teacher Education programmes enable you to become a qualified teacher in Early Childhood, Primary, Te Pōkai Mātauranga o te Ao Rua primary bicultural) or Secondary Education.
To be sure teaching is the career path for you, it is strongly recommended that intending applicants approach a school or centre, to arrange to spend a day observing a typical day's teaching, prior to submitting your application.
Restricted entry applies to these programmes – you must apply, attend an interview, and be offered a place. Applications are to be submitted online.
Late applications will be considered. Please contact us to discuss a late application.
Bachelor of Teaching (BTchg)
Applications open on 1 May and are due by 31 August.
You must apply for and be offered a place in the programme.
Applications submitted between 31 August and 30 November will be considered.
Applicants seeking to apply after 30 November need to contact the College of Education at:
- Three-year undergraduate degree
- Endorsed in early childhood education, primary education – Dunedin campus
- Or endorsed in te pōkai mātauranga o te ao rua | primary bicultural education – Invercargill campus only
Master of Teaching and Learning (MTchgLn)
Applications open on 1 May and are due by 31 July.
Places in our programmes are limited. You must apply for and be offered a place in the programme.
Applications submitted between 1 August and 31 October will be considered if there are places remaining after applications submitted by 31 July have been considered.
Applicants seeking to apply after 31 October need to contact the College of Education for eligibility:
- One-year (January–December) postgraduate degree
- Endorsed in early childhood education, primary education, or secondary education
- Dunedin campus only
Important information that may be relevant to your application
- University of Otago entrance requirements
- Information for students who need to be safety checked under the Children's Act 2014
- Professional Standards and Criminal Offences Policy
- Applicants who have lived for a year or more in a country other than New Zealand may be requested to provide police or security checks from countries they have resided in.
Apply for the Bachelor of Teaching (BTchg)
Apply for the Master of Teaching and Learning (MTchgLn)
For questions about our Teacher Education programmes
For support with the online application process
For information about your application
This information must be read subject to the statement on our Copyright & Disclaimer page.
Regulations on this page are taken from the 2023 Calendar and supplementary material.