"At Otago we train our food scientists for the world of work, giving them real product development challenges in their final year."
Food Product Development (FOSC 311)
This highly successful course puts students into small teams to design, develop and test product concepts and prototypes to deliver on a client's brief.
The projects incorporate a range of skills: food formulation, food safety, consumer research, sensory testing and latest NPD project management thinking.
We would like more company projects for our students…
Benefits of sponsoring a project
- Interact with students and tap into their creativity and enthusiasm
- Gain access to the breadth of the university's scientific research resources
- Gain consumer insights for your new product ideas
- Feasibility assessment of ideas (technical, financial and marketing)
- Turn innovative concepts into early product prototypes
- Formulation and processing specs
- Shelf life stability and food safety assessment
- Sensory and consumer acceptance testing
- Raw material costings
- Packaging design
- Defined project time frame from March to October
- The opportunity to foster and encourage the next generation of Food Scientists.
Excellent value – only $2500 (plus gst) per project
Thanks to our recent sponsors
"In my third year I did the product development paper (FOSC 311) with Barkers jams. This provided me with company experience as well as providing a realistic view of new product development in the food industry."