Slips, trips and falls are a significant hazard in the workplace. Processes should be in place to mitigate these hazards if they are not able to be eliminated.
Keeping workplaces clean and tidy
The best way to prevent slip and trip hazards is to ensure good housekeeping in the work area. A few housekeeping tips include:
- Cleaning up spills immediately
- Marking wet and/or hazardous areas
- Keeping walkways and aisles clear
- Securing mats and rugs that don't lay flat
- Make sure work areas and walkways are well lit
- Take care while carrying items especially if they restrict your vision
Reporting hazards and incidents
It's important to make sure you report any near misses or actual falls within the Vault system. This can help avoid a repeat incident, or a more serious fall in the future.