A postgraduate research opportunity at the University of Otago.
- Academic background
- Sciences, Health Sciences
- Host campuses
- Dunedin, Christchurch
- Medicine (Christchurch)
- Professor Vicky Cameron, Dr Anna Pilbrow, Dr Allamanda Faatoese
PhD candidates are being recruited to join the Christchurch Heart Institute, University of Otago, Christchurch.
The Christchurch Heart Institute employs 35–40 experts in cardiology, genetics, biochemistry and physiology.
It is the only integrated 'bench to bedside to community' cardiovascular research group in New Zealand. Our research focuses on:
- Discovering and implementing new blood tests for heart disease diagnosis and treatment
- Developing new methods for treating heart failure and improving outcomes
- Understanding the genetics of heart disease to help explain why heart disease runs in families
We encourage enquiries from enthusiastic and highly motivated postgraduate students. We can tailor a research project to suit your interests and areas of expertise.
Potential topics include:
- Genetics/genomics, epigenetics and heart disease in the New Zealand population
- Circulating Noncoding RNAs in heart disease
- Proteomics and protein biomarkers in heart disease
- Investigating inequities in cardiovascular health outcomes for Māori and Pasifika
Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD programme at the University of Otago.
Whether you are a domestic or an international student, the University of Otago has a range of Doctoral Scholarships available to you.
If you are a straight A student (GPA of 8 - ‘A’ grade) or higher, who has completed an Honours or Master’s degree with an appropriate research component from a New Zealand university then you are likely to be guaranteed a University of Otago Doctoral Scholarship.
In the first instance, applicants should contact Professor Vicky Cameron, Dr Anna Pilbrow or Dr Allamanda Faatoese by email to discuss a project. Further information may be sought from suitable candidates that will include:
- a copy of your CV
- a copy of your academic transcript
- a pdf copy of your research thesis
The Department of Medicine has a number of potential topics and projects on offer for a range of postgraduate qualifications, including PhD and Master’s degrees.
We welcome enquiries and encourage all prospective students to directly contact potential supervisors in their field of interest.