Nau mai, haere mai, welcome to the Hocken. We are a reference-only research library, archive and gallery open to the public.
90 Anzac Avenue, North Dunedin
Tel +64 3 479 8868
View Hocken Collections, University of Otago in a larger map.
See a map of all university libraries on the Dunedin campus here.
There is one visitor park in the Hocken car park, accessible from Parry Street.
One Mobility Park is at the end of Parry Street, outside the Hocken car park.
There is street parking on Albany Street, Anzac Avenue, Minerva Street and Parry Street.
A pay park is available at 182 Albany Street, pay by cash or credit card.
- The main entrance to Hocken is on the corner of Anzac Avenue and State Highway 88.
- Please ask any questions at the front desk, staff are happy to help.
- All bags, food and drink must be stored in the locker room due to the rarity, fragility and heritage value of items in the collections.
- There is a public lunchroom on the ground floor, with facilities for making hot drinks, in return for a small koha.
- We are accessible by wheelchair. We have a wheelchair available for use and a lift to the first floor.
Please bring your Hocken card or Otago University or Polytechnic ID.
If you do not have a Hocken card or Otago tertiary ID, please bring photo ID to register with us.
Search for items using the online search tools. Staff will retrieve requested items for you to use in the Reading Room.
Archives, pictures and photographs
For help with searching, see Hākena Search Help.
Books, maps, journals/magazines, newspapers and other publications
You can request items ahead of your visit. Ask for them at the reference desk on your arrival.
The Hocken Collections and Gallery are open to all researchers and exhibition visitors:
Tuesday to Saturday, from 10am to 5pm.
Our research guides help find resources in the collections.