Nau mai, haere mai, welcome to the Hocken. We are a reference-only research library, archive and gallery open to the public.
Street address and contact number
90 Anzac Avenue, North Dunedin
Tel: (03) 479 8868
View Hocken Collections, University of Otago in a larger map.
See a map of all university libraries on the Dunedin campus here.
There is one visitor park in the Hocken car park, accessible from Parry Street.
One Mobility Park is at the end of Parry Street, outside the Hocken car park.
There is street parking on Albany Street, Anzac Avenue, Minerva Street and Parry Street.
A pay park is available at 182 Albany Street, pay by cash or credit card.
- The main entrance to Hocken is on the corner of Anzac Avenue and State Highway 88.
- Please ask any questions at the front desk, staff are happy to help.
- All bags, food and drink must be stored in the locker room due to the rarity, fragility and heritage value of items in the collections.
- There is a public lunchroom on the ground floor, with facilities for making hot drinks, in return for a small koha.
- We are accessible by wheelchair. We have a wheelchair available for use and a lift to the first floor.
How to access the collections
Please bring your Hocken card or Otago University or Polytechnic ID.
If you do not have a Hocken card or Otago tertiary ID, please bring photo ID to register with us.
Search for items using the online search tools.
Staff retrieve requested items for you to use in the Reading Room.
Search for archives, pictures and photographs on Hākena (see our guide for help with searching).
- Learn more about our archives.
- Learn more about our pictures and photographs.
Search for books, maps, journals/magazines, newspapers and other publications on LibrarySearch|Ketu.
- Learn more about our published collections.
You can request items ahead of your visit. Ask for them at the reference desk on your arrival.
Search for digitized photographs on Hocken Snapshop.