The University photographer's primary responsibility is to provide images for the External Engagement Division and its marketing efforts, including promotional campaigns, websites, and print publications.
Beyond that, first priority is given to photographing major events, overall University celebrations, awards ceremonies, notable guests, and other notable events.
The photographer will routinely visit campuses outside of Dunedin. Dates to be advised.
Level 1: Photographed by University photographer
- Marketing Services campaign and publication photography
- Website hero images co-ordinated by Marketing Services
- High-profile and major recurring events (convocation, graduation ceremonies, awards ceremonies, Clocktower picnic, etc.)
- One-time historic events and speakers:
- Ground-breakings, dedications, major campaign events
- High-profile speakers (visiting dignitaries, convocation keynote, etc.)
- Assignments from the Vice-Chancellor’s Office
- Retail product shots
- Local, regional, or national news stories co-ordinated by the Communications Office
- Stock (unassigned, unscheduled) photos of student and university life, campus environment, and other lifestyle and scenic shots
- Staff headshots
From mid-2020, you can book appointments for staff headshots at our fortnightly open studio.
Please contact the photographer if you’d like to be added to the waiting list for headshots (those on the list will be contacted first, once the studio is ready in mid-2020).
Level 2: Photographed by freelance photographers
- Speakers (except those covered by level 1)
- Conferences, symposiums, and other lower-profile events
- Administrative or academic departmental needs (speakers, events, classroom photos, etc.)
A list of recommended freelance photographers is available on request.
Please contact the photographer to request freelance rates and contact information.
Level 3: Self-service
- Student headshots
- Group photos (class, club, committee, etc.)
- Internal departmental events (morning teas, retirements, etc.)
- Scientific photography (macro photos of specimen, research project photography, etc.)
Request a booking
Bookings are subject to photographer availability. Priorities are subject to change. Be sure to review these guidelines each time you wish to make a booking request.