Co-co-ordinator of Contemporary Music Performance
Senior Lecturer in Contemporary Music
PhD MA MusB (Otago)
Joined the staff in 2002
- Music iconography
- Performing arts studies
- In 2012 I completed my PhD thesis, an iconographical study of David Bowie's album covers 1967-1980.
- Kylie Price: Award winning singer-songwriter. See more here
- Hollie Longman-Fleck: Peformer and fulltime Lecturer in Music at Southern Institute of Technology, Invercargill, New Zealand.
- Oli Wilson: Keyboard player with iconic Dunedin band The Chills, ex member of Knives at Noon. See more here
- Hana Fahey: Popular solo and band performer, and High School music teacher at Logan Park High School, Dunedin
- David Harrison: Highly in-demand guitarist for several professional acts and fulltime Teaching Fellow in Guitar at Otago University, Dunedin.
- Hanna Curwood: UK based singer-songwriter. See more here
Chapman, I. (2023). Alastair Riddell’s Space Waltz. Bloomsbury, 144p.
Chapman, I. (speaker, performer) (2021, 10-12, 15-20, 23-27, 30 June, 1-10, 12 July). Dr Ian Chapman & the Cosmic Jive Trio: David Bowie and the Art of Being Different, with performances and talks, presented by Arts on Tour New Zealand, Chanel Arts Centre, Playhouse Theatre, Mussel Inn, Whirinaki Whare Taonga, Everybody's Theatre, Te Awamutu College, The Plaza, Meteor Theatre, Hauraki House Theatre, Kauaeranga Hall, OSPA Theatre, Church of St George and St John, Senior Citizens Hall, Smash Palace Bar, The Gaiety, Arts Centre, Lodge Theatre, Twizel Events Theatre, Oamaru Opera House, The Laboratory, Old Lodge Theatre, Donovan's Store, Tarras Hall, Sherwood Hotel, Eastern Southland Gallery, Stewart Island Community Centre, Motueka, Mapua, Onekaka, Upper Hutt, Ōpunakē, Te Awamutu, Putaruru, Hamilton, Coromandel, Thames, Onewhero, Whakatane, Opotiki, Gisborne, Akaroa, Christchurch, Geraldine, Twizel, Oamaru, Lincoln, Hokitika, Okarito, Cromwell, Queenstown, Gore, Stewart Island, New Zealand . [Performance].
Chapman, I. (2020). Okay, boomer: New Zealand in the swinging sixties. Auckland, New Zealand: Bateman, 199p.
Chapman, I. (2020). David Bowie FAQ: All that's left to know about rock's finest actor. Lanham, MD: Backbeat Books, 312p.
Chapman, I. (2019, September). From Jules Verne to David Bowie: "From the earth to the moon: A space oddity". Verbal presentation at the 1869 Conference and Heritage Festival: Ka mua, ka muri, Dunedin, New Zealand.