MusB(Hons) (Otago) Postgraduate Diploma RCM(UK)
Joined the staff in 2008
Tessa has a broad career as a performer both internationally (mostly in the UK and USA) and within New Zealand: soloist, recitalist (piano/violin duo), chamber and orchestral musician, and Concertmaster. She has commissioned, recorded and premièred many new works by New Zealand composers involving violin, as well as recording soundtracks required for film and contemporary bands. She features on recordings for the Ode and Rattle CD labels in New Zealand.
Tessa's students have gone onto further study and performance/teaching internationally (Malaysia, Sydney, Spain, UK), as well as teaching and working in orchestras, chamber ensembles and bands in New Zealand.
- MUSI 140 Performance Studies 1
- MUSI 141 Performance 1
- MUSI 240 Performance Studies 2
- MUSI 241 Performance 2
- MUSI 340 Performance Studies 3
- MUSI 341 Performance 3
- MUSI 442 Repertoire Studies
- MUSI 441 Performance 4
Postgraduate student supervision
- Master of Arts (MA) in performance violin
- Co-supervisor for Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA)
Musical and community activities
- Concertmaster of the Dunedin Symphony Orchestra
- Guest Concertmaster of the St Matthews Chamber Orchestra, Auckland
- National Examiner for New Zealand Music Examinations Board (NZMEB)
- Past examiner for the National Concerto Competition and Chamber Music NZ Chamber music competition
- Première Performances of Gallipolli To the Somme by Anthony Ritchie in Dunedin, Oxford and London, UK.
- Release: The Mozart Fellowship
- Brighter Than Blue by Matthew Marshall
- Father & Son: Music by John and Anthony Ritchie
- March 2021: Première of Entrances for solo violin and fixed media by Jeremy Mayall (Winner of Best Music in the Dunedin Fringe Festival)
Petersen, T. (violin), & du Plessis, H. (cello) (2022, 6 March). Exhibition Quartet: Music from Aotearoa, works for string quartet by Peter Adams, Leonie Holmes & Anthony Ritchie and for violin and piano by Gillian Whitehead, Hanover Hall, Dunedin, New Zealand. [Performance].
Petersen, T. (concertmaster, first violin) (2022, 20, 21 August). St Matthew's Chamber Orchestra: Pianismo Alla Grieg, works by Tremain, Gounod, Farquhar and Grieg, Warkworth Town Hall, St Matthew-in-the-city, Warkworth, Auckland, New Zealand. [Performance].
Petersen, T. (violin), & du Plessis, H. (cello) (2022, 20 October). Dunedin Arts Festival: Olveston at Six: Campfire to music room hearth, works by Antonin Dvorak, Olveston Historic Home, Dunedin, New Zealand. [Performance].
Petersen, T. (violin) (2021, 27 March). Our Footsteps are all Entrances, at the Dunedin Fringe Festival. World première by composer Jeremy Mayall, for solo violin and fixed media based upon works from the poetry collection Homing In by Cilla McQueen, Te Korokoro o te Tūi, Dunedin, New Zealand. [Performance].
Petersen, T. (solo violin) (2020, 15 March). St. Matthew's Chamber Ochestra, performing works by Lilburn, Elgar, Vaughan Williams, and Dvořák, St-Matthews-in-the-City, Auckland, New Zealand. [Performance].