The impact of base of thumb osteoarthritis and the effectiveness of orthotic management
Area of study
- Base-of-thumb osteoarthritis
- Orthotic intervention (splinting)
- Hand function and health-related quality of life
- Musculoskeletal conditions affecting the hand
- Dr Cathy Chapple, Centre for Health, Activity, and Rehabilitation Research, School of Physiotherapy, University of Otago (Primary Supervisor)
- Prof. David Baxter, Centre for Health, Activity, and Rehabilitation Research, School of Physiotherapy, University of Otago
- Assoc Prof, Simon Stebbings, Department of Medicine – Rheumatology, Dunedin School of Medicine, University of Otago
- Master of Physiotherapy (by research) with Distinction, University of Otago School of Physiotherapy, 2012
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy with Credit, University of Otago, 1999
Bűhler M. Dealing with hand arthritis. Physical Therapy Reviews. 2019;24(3-4):82-83. doi: 10.1080/10833196.2019.1660031.
Buhler M, Chapple CM, Stebbings S, Sangelaji B, Baxter GD. (2019) Effectiveness of splinting for pain and function in people with thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2019;27:547-559. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2018.09.012
Bűhler M, Chapple C, Baxter D, Stebbings S. (2018) Splinting for thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: a feasibility randomised controlled trial. Study protocol registered with the Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry (ANZCTR): ACTRN12618001639213
Bűhler M, Chapple C, Baxter D, Stebbings S. The effectiveness of splinting for reducing pain and improving functional status and health-related quality of life in individuals with thumb base OA: a systematic review with meta-analysis (Protocol). PROSPERO 2016:CRD42016032612 Available from https://www.crd.york.ac.uk/prospero/display_record.php?RecordID=32612
Bűhler M, Johnson G, Meikle G. Longitudinal in-vivo ultrasound observations of the surgically repaired zone II flexor digitorum profundus tendon. Ultrasound in Med. and Biol. 2015;41(11):3018-3022. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2015.07.006
Bűhler M, Abbott JH, Gwynne-Jones D, Chin M, Woodside J. (2015) Is relative motion extension splinting non-inferior for total active motion and more cost-effective compared to dynamic extension splinting for extensor tendon repair in zone V and VI: a randomised controlled trial. Study protocol registered with the Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry (ANZCTR): ACTRN12615000425594.
Bűhler M. ‘Physiotherapy / Hand Therapy distal radius fracture treatment manual’. Therapy protocol for: Theis J-C, Irving A, Melloh M, Sharr J. Distal radius fractures: a randomised controlled trial of percutaneous k-wiring and casting versus open reduction and internal fixation with a volar plate. Study protocol. 2011, December.
Bűhler M. ‘Silicone oil’. Fingerprints. 2011, May.
Bűhler M. [Commentary on] ‘Patients’ concerns with journey through flexor tendon rehab’ (Brandford et al 2004); ‘Flexor tendon pulley reconstruction’ (Clark et al 2010). Fingerprints. 2011, May.
Bűhler M. ‘Wound care subjective assessment’. Fingerprints. 2010, August.
Bűhler M. ‘Outcome measures in Hand therapy – a review of current measures’. Fingerprints. 2010, May.
Bűhler M. ‘Managing hypergranulation’. Fingerprints. 2010, May.
Bűhler M. ‘The role of iodine in wound cleansing – a review of current literature’. Fingerprints. 2009, December.
Bűhler M. ‘Wound care up-date’ – review of EWMA guidelines. ‘Fingerprints’. 2009, August.
Buhler M. [Commentary on] ‘The reliability of one vs. three grip trials in symptomatic and asymptomatic subjects’ (Coldham F, Lewis J & Lee H. JHT 2006, 19:318-327). NZ J Physiotherapy. 2007, 35(1):30.
Buhler M. Thumb CMC OA – getting a grip. Platform presentation (invited speaker), Hand Therapy New Zealand Biennial National Conference, Wellington 2019, 13 September.
Bűhler M, Chapple C, Stebbings S, Bryant K, Baxter D. Impact of thumb base osteoarthritis: a qualitative study of patients’ perspectives. Platform presentation (free paper), Physiotherapy New Zealand Conference, Dunedin 2018, 15 September. http://hdl.handle.net/10523/8477
Bűhler M, Chapple C, Stebbings S, Bryant K. Baxter D. Impact of thumb base osteoarthritis: what do patients tell us and what does that mean for outcome measurement? Platform presentation (free paper), NZ Society for Surgery of the Hand Meeting, Queenstown 2018, 25 July.
Bűhler M, Chapple C, Stebbings S, Baxter D. The effectiveness of splinting for reducing pain and improving functional status and health-related quality of life in individuals with thumb base OA: a systematic review. Poster presentation, IFSSH/IFSHT Congress, Buenos Aires 2016, 24 October.
Bűhler M. Fresh honey for open wounds. Invited platform presentation, IFSSH/IFSHT Congress, Buenos Aires 2016, 26 October.
Bűhler M (2016) 'Effectiveness of splinting for thumb base OA: a systematic review' CHARR seminar series
Bűhler M, Hall S. ‘Best practice in Hand Therapy’; ‘Acute hand injuries’; ‘Practical stabilisation for acute hand injuries’. Platform presentations, South GP CME, Christchurch 2015, 14-17 August.
Bűhler M. ‘Dynamic splints for PIP fractures’. Platform presentation (invited speaker), NZ Hand Surgery Society, NZ Association of Hand Therapists and NZ Orthopaedic Association Wrist and Hand Meeting, Queenstown, 2014, 13-17 April.
Bűhler M. ‘Mirror box & beyond: mixed reality techniques in hand and upper limb injuries’. Presentation for ‘Mixed reality exposure therapy and rehabilitation workshop’, University of Otago, 2013, April.
Bűhler M. ‘Wound healing and distal radius fracture’. Lecture, Hands Study Day, Dunedin, 2011, October.
Bűhler M. ‘Silicone oil for wound healing in the hand – a case study’. Platform presentation (free paper), NZ Wound Care Society conference, Dunedin, 2011, 3 November.
Bűhler M. ‘In-vivo ultrasound observations of change in echogenicity in the surgically repaired flexor digitorum profundus tendon – a case series’. Platform presentation (free paper), NZ Assoc of Hand Therapists conference, Napier, 2011, 5 November.
- Otago Medical Research Foundation Jack Thomson Arthritis Fund Award 2018 http://www.omrf.org.nz/research/grants-awarded/
- NZAHT Research Grant 2018
- Physiotherapy New Zealand Scholarship Trust Award, 2018
- Best Hand Therapy Paper Award, NZ Society for Surgery of the Hand Meeting, 2018.
- Elite Reviewer award, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2017
- Physiotherapy New Zealand Scholarship Trust Award, 2016
- Winner PNZ Otago Branch 3-minute thesis competition, 2016
- University of Otago Postgraduate Award (Doctoral, 6 years part-time), 2015
- Healthcare Otago Charitable Trust Research Award – Dunedin Hospital Extensor Tendon Study, 2014
- NZAHT Research Grant, 2014
- Southern District Health Board Research Excellence Award – Allied Health, 2012
- Winner NZAHT conference Poster Competition, Scientific Category, 2012
- Mark Steptoe Grant-in-Aid, University of Otago School of Physiotherapy, 2010
- University of Otago Postgraduate Award (Masters, 2 years part-time), 2010
- NZAHT postgraduate study grant, 2009
- Southern DHB postgraduate study grant, 2009
Why did you choose the School of Physiotherapy?
I chose the University of Otago School of Physiotherapy because of the proximity and close ties with Dunedin Hospital and Southern District Health Board. I also value the faculty’s research expertise and clinical knowledge relevant to my topic and their flexibility and support for pursuing part-time PhD study while maintaining my clinical role.
Best things so far about your study?
The immensely helpful support staff (administrators, technical staff), the friendly research faculty, and the enthusiasm and generous advice of my supervisors and their international connections.