Professor Mackenbach of Erasmus MC, Netherlands, presenting at the opening of 2016 Public Health Summer School
What offers 30 courses in just three weeks?
The University of Otago, Wellington, 2017 Public Health Summer School offers great scope for professional development.
This highly popular event is held at the University of Otago's Wellington campus in February each year and attracts hundreds of people looking for high quality, short-format courses on a great variety of topics.
With most courses being only one-day duration it allows people to access multiple topics of interest. In 2016, one international delegate timed a family holiday to New Zealand to attend nine different courses over a three-week period.
There are 14 new topics available in 2017 ranging from emerging infectious diseases or children's health to art and public health, while popular core courses, such as Hauora Māori and Pacific Health, statistical methods and public health law, remain on the schedule.
The courses are presented by international and national leaders in their field. International guest presenters in 2017 include:
- Professor Ichiro Kawachi ( Harvard University) – presenting Behavioural Economics
- Professor David Heymann – (United Kingdom) – presenting Emerging Infectious Diseases
- Professor Tadj Oreszczyn (University College London) and Professor Paul Cooper (University of Wollongong) – presenting Insulation Plus!
- Dr Harriet Thomson (University of Manchester) presenting Fuel Poverty
- Professor Suzan Burton (Western Sydney University) presenting on the Tobacco Retail Landscape