Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Funding opportunities


Upcoming funding

The current funding opportunities are available below.


Research News – 22 September 2022 (PDF)


If you would like the Research Opportunities emailed out to you weekly, you can join the Research News mailing list.

Email (use subject line: ‘Subscribe to Research News')

We will then add your email address to the list.

When you need to contact us

Staff are reminded that every application for external research funding needs to come through Research and Enterprise. If you are not sure, please call and we will be able to advise you.

All grant applications and proposals must be accompanied by a completed, signed internal budget. Completed documents must be passed on to the Research and Enterprise Office who will submit them on behalf of the researcher(s).

Please inform your Research Adviser if you intend to apply as Principal Investigator for any contestable funding, whether advertised here or not, at the beginning of the development of your application. The same situation exists if you have been approached by researchers at another institution/organisation to collaborate on a funding proposal where Otago is not the lead institution and/or is not submitting the proposal. Contact details for Research Advisors are given below.

University of Otago Research Grants (UORG)

Applications for University of Otago Research Grants, administered centrally by the Research Committee, are invited once per year for requests in excess of:

  • $2,500 for Humanities disciplines
  • $5,000 for Social Sciences disciplines
  • $10,000 for the Life, Human and Biomedical, Physical and Clinical and Public Health Sciences.

Applications are considered by panels established by the Research Committee, taking into account the excellence of the research proposed, the research record of applicants and the overall research perspectives of the University. The Research Committee will give special consideration to grants which enable eligible staff to develop a research profile to the extent that they become better able to compete for externally funded grants and also to support excellence in research and scholarship for which external funds are not readily available. Grants are generally for one year but a small portion of the money is available for two or three year projects.

The Committee gives special consideration to applications from early career staff.

The application round for these grants occurs annually in May.

Research forms and guidelines

^ Top of page

Major equipment grants

The announcement of a new round is sent out electronically to Pro-Vice-Chancellors, Deans and Heads of Departments early each year.

Researcher Toolkit forms

^ Top of page

Māori consultation

Information on Māori consultation

^ Top of page

Ethics and Regulatory Consents

Ethics and Regulatory Consents

Costings and Consents worksheet

A University of Otago Costings and Consents Worksheet (CCW) is required for all applications, signed by the applicant, their Head of Department/Resource Centre and their Dean/PVC, in accordance with University policy on externally funded research. You can download the latest version of our CCW. For advice on the use of the CCW to develop costings for your project, please contact your Research Advisor.

The University of Otago Policy Document on Externally Funded Research outlines both the need for and the usage of the CCW.

Checklist for submitting grant proposals

  • Copy of the application (signed by applicant, and HoD/Dean if requested by funder)
  • University of Otago Costing & Consents Worksheet (CCW) (signed by applicant, HoD and Dean/AVC, including copies of ethical/regulatory approvals)

The Research and Enterprise Office then obtains the authorised signature of the University for you, copies the application, and sends it to the funding body by the due date.

Contact details for the Research Advisor Team

For further information, advice and assistance regarding anything to do with contestable research funding, please contact the Research Advisor for your Division/Department.