Otago is recognised as a premier location for science study, and there are a number of reasons for this:
- It has the only energy-focused undergraduate degree in Australasia.
- It's THE National School of Surveying–we offer the only tertiary professional surveying programme in New Zealand.
- It has New Zealand's only dedicated sports nutrition programme.
- It's the only university in New Zealand specialising in the science of plants. Modern Botany includes research into the biochemistry, ecology, genetics and physiology of plants, plant evolution, the role plants play in ecosystems, and plant biotechnology.
- It's the only place where you can explore the fascinating field of Neuroscience at undergraduate level and are able to complete a double major in Psychology and Neuroscience.
- Otago is the only university in New Zealand, and one of a few in the world, with a true Zoology Department.
Otago's science majors are flexible and a numberof them are interdisciplinary, drawing on strengths across departments: Agricultural Innovation, Ecology, Genetics, Neuroscience and Plant Biotechnology are all examples of these.
Otago is uniquely placed to offer a range of sites for field-based studies in Zoology, Marine Science, Geography, Geology, Botany, Ecology and more. Our Marine Science students have access to world-class marine laboratories as well as fully equipped research vessels and field stations in Fiordland and Stewart Island.
Many of our researchers are world leaders in their fields of expertise, and that excellence feeds through into our teaching at all levels.
Add to that the huge range of subjects available, the flexibility of majors and minors, and the personal support you'll receive across the campus ... are you convinced yet?