This page provides resources for departmental staff investigating possible academic misconduct under the Student Academic Misconduct Procedures.
- Guidance on Investigating Academic Misconduct (PDF)
- Best Practice in an Academic Misconduct Interview (PDF)
- Preliminary Investigation – Alleged Academic Misconduct Initial Report form (DOCX)
- Full Level 1 Investigation Report form (DOCX)
- Template Level 1 communication to a student (for use in a full investigation) (DOCX)
- Advice on assisting stressed and distressed students (this resource may be useful if you have concerns about a student’s wellbeing) (PDF)
Sources of advice
The Head of Student Experience has central oversight of academic misconduct processes at the University. For information about any previous offending in relation to a particular student, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Material associated with cases (completed forms etc.) can be emailed to email@example.com
The University defines three levels of academic misconduct:
- Level One: A first instance of academic misconduct where a student’s actions may be regarded as unintentional or naïve and contributed to by a lack of understanding of acceptable academic practice.
- Level Two: Academic misconduct where a student’s actions are perceived to be intentional and where the student could reasonably be expected to understand academic practice, or any repeat instance of academic misconduct.
- Level Three: Academic misconduct in which actions are perceived as being intentional and of an extremely serious nature including instances of falsification or fabrication of data, impersonation and/or purchasing of assessment, and instances of persistent academic misconduct.
See the Student Academic Misconduct Procedures for more details.
The Associate Deans (Academic) in each Division have delegated responsibility for investigating Level Two and Level Three academic misconduct. For advice on the overall investigation process and precedent-based outcomes where misconduct has occurred, please, in the first instance contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the Associate Deans (Academic) listed below.
- Commerce, Associate Professor Richard Greatbanks (email@example.com; +64 3 479 8658)
- Health Sciences, Professor Lois Surgenor (firstname.lastname@example.org; +64 3 479 6733 or +64 3 479 7428)
- Humanities (acting), Ms Nicola Cummins (email@example.com; +64 3 479 8618)
- Sciences, Professor Brendan McCane (firstname.lastname@example.org; +64 3 479 8588)
The Manager, Policy and Compliance, Academic Services (Mayhaka Mendis; email@example.com; +64 3 479 8993) can provide advice on the Student Academic Misconduct Procedures and related policies.