The University of Essex has 21 departments spanning the Humanities, Social Sciences and Science & Engineering. As an Otago exchange student you can choose to study at one of these two campus:
- Most Otago students will attend the Colchester Campus, the largest and home to 15,000 students from more than 130 countries. The Campus is set within 200 acres of beautiful parkland, located two miles from the historic town centre of Colchester. The Colchester Campus is also easily reached from London and Stansted Airport in under one hour.
- The Southend Campus is based in Southend-on-Sea, along seven miles of award-winning coastline, providing plenty of opportunities for a wide range of water sports and leisure activities.
Less than an hour train ride from London, Colchester is Britain's first city and former capital of Roman Britain. Its rich history dates back over 2000 years and is ripe for exploring. But it's not all about the past. 21st Century Colchester is a thriving, modern town with first class visitor attractions, including the family favourites Colchester Zoo and Colchester Castle, as well as fantastic places to eat, drink and shop.
- Undergraduate level exchange only.
- Academic Year: October – June (Autumn term: October - December; Spring term: January - March; Summer term: April - June).
- Minimum/maximum course load: 120 credits (full year) 60 credits (semester).
- Students are only permitted to take Incoming Essex Abroad modules from the Colchester or Southend campus, it is not possible to take modules from across both campuses.
- Students are not permitted to take non-credited modules.
- Full year students are eligible for University accommodation, provided they apply by the accommodation guarantee deadline.
- On-campus accommodation for one semester only is not guaranteed.
- Essex video
- Incoming Essex Abroad modules
- Understanding module codes
- Essex semester dates
- Essex Cost of Living
- Life at Essex
- Information for exchange students
- Essex visa information
- Information on student visas and insurance for students going on exchange
For further information about Otago Global Student Exchange, please contact an Exchange Adviser.