Red X iconGreen tick iconYellow tick icon
Students talking in front of the Clocktower

Information on this page is for exchange students nominated by one of the University of Otago's Exchange partners.

If your home university is not on the list of partner institutions at the page linked above, refer to the information for international students:

Visa and insurance – international students


  • Exchange students must obtain a student visa prior to arriving in New Zealand and commencing study at the University of Otago.
  • Students may enrol holding a Student Visa or Working Holiday Visa (if from a country approved for this scheme). Full time study status still applies.
  • Exchange students enrolled for one year (two semesters) at the University of Otago may be granted work rights.
  • Students should not rely on finding work in Dunedin to support themselves.
  • Immigration New Zealand website

Mandatory insurance

  • Studentsafe-University is Otago's recommended insurance policy.
  • This is a comprehensive travel and health insurance.
  • Registration is automatic. You will sign up for Studentsafe-University insurance during the online course enrollment process.
  • Alternative insurance policies may be assessed up to six weeks before you start at Otago. Do not purchase an alternative insurance policy until the University of Otago has confirmed that the policy is acceptable.
  • All international students must have appropriate medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand.
Back to top