The University of Otago has a number of publications available for prospective students and their families. They outline the many opportunities that await you at Otago and help you make well-informed decisions.
Following are links to PDFs or ebooks of the publications.
Prefer to have copies posted to you?
Complete the material request form.
Intro to Otago
Your first year at university is a major milestone and we’re ready to make sure it's the best it can be.
- Intro to Otago Guide (PDF)
If you’re planning to study at the University of Otago for the first time, you need to take a look at the Prospectus which is published in June each year. It shows you the range of subjects available, helps you understand how Otago degrees are structured and provides important information on entrance requirements, enrolment, support services, and accommodation.
Details of all the courses are also available in the Guide to Enrolment.
Guide to Enrolment
The Guide to Enrolment is there to help guide you through the application and enrolment process, and provides valuable information for planning your course. It also includes degree structures and details of papers that are available.
Some information may have changed since the Guide to Enrolment was produced. See the links below for current information:
See the Guide to Enrolment page for PDFs and previous editions.
- Guide to Enrolment (PDF)
University of Otago Pathways
University of Otago Pathways programmes provide a foundation and entrance qualification for New Zealand universities. These streams align with the four University of Otago academic divisions: Business/Commerce, Health Sciences, Arts/Humanities, and Science/Applied Science/Life Science.
We know going to university is a big decision and the University of Otago Parents’ Guide is there to help. Is University the right choice? Is it worth it? What is it like? These are some of the questions answered plus it gives an overview of life at Otago, enrolment procedures, accommodation, and costs.
- Parents’ Guide (PDF)
The Whānau Guide is a resource for whānau as well as students who intend to come to study at the University of Otago.
A resource for Pacific Island students thinking about studying at the University of Otago.
- Pacificana Guide (PDF)
Whether you’re seeking to boost your career or follow your passion in an area of study, we have the programme to challenge you, and the support you need to assist you on your journey.
- Postgraduate Prospectus (PDF)
Distance Learning Prospectus
Otago offers a vast range of courses that can be learnt off campus. The Distance Learning Prospectus has information on courses offered, fees, and enrolment procedures.
Summer School Prospectus
Summer School is an intensive teaching period from early January to mid-February during which a range of undergraduate papers are offered.
A select group of papers are offered for the pre-Christmas Summer School.
- Summer School Prospectus (PDF)
Bachelor of Arts Prospectus
The Bachelor of Arts (BA) is Otago’s most flexible undergraduate degree programme, enabling students to study from a selection of more than 40 arts and social science subjects, as well as papers offered elsewhere in the University.
The Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) degree programme enables each student to develop his or her own interests in business and related subjects.
- Business Prospectus (PDF)
College of Education Prospectus
If you want to inspire in the classroom or better understand the educational influences in our society the College of Education will have a programme for you. The College of Education Prospectus has information on programmes offered plus details on applications and admission.
If you’re an international student interested in studying at Otago, take a look at our International Prospectus. Find out why 3,000 international students choose to study with us, and learn about important information including entrance and English language requirements, tuition fees and scholarships, and how to apply.
- About the University of Otago in Chinese – 中文 (ebook)
- About the University of Otago in Chinese – 中文 (PDF)
Study Abroad and Exchange Guide
If you’re interested in joining us as a Study Abroad or Exchange student, this guide is an introduction to life at Otago for short-term international students. Find out about programmes of study, life in New Zealand’s student capital, the adventure playground on your doorstep, and more.
University of Otago Language Centre and University of Otago Pathways
The University of Otago Language Centre and University of Otago Pathways programmes provide expert English language tuition, academic knowledge, and an entry qualification to enable you to be admitted to a New Zealand university or improve your English language skills.
- English language and pathways programmes – English (PDF)
- English language and pathways programmes – Arabic (PDF)
- English language and pathways programmes – Chinese simplified (PDF)
- English language and pathways programmes – Chinese traditional (PDF)
- English language and pathways programmes – Japanese (PDF)
- English language and pathways programmes – Korean (PDF)
- English language and pathways programmes – Thai (PDF)
- English language and pathways programmes – Vietnamese (PDF)
Want to know more about a particular subject? There are information sheets on the individual subject pages for most subjects taught at Otago.
- Discover Aotearoa / New Zealand – Fieldwork courses (PDF)
- Discover Aotearoa / New Zealand – A selection of New Zealand and Pacific-focused courses (PDF)
- Study options for international students when English is a second language (PDF)
- International Mini Guide (PDF)
- Code of Student Conduct (PDF)
- Disability Information and Support: Resources and support (PDF)
- Disability Information and Support: A guide for secondary school students (PDF)
- Otago at a Glance (PDF)
- Campus map (PDF)
- University of Otago Calendar
- Welcome to Otago Booklet (PDF)