Associate Professor in Systematic Theology
MRel, ThD(Wycliffe College and University of Toronto)
Christopher Holmes studied systematic theology, completing a ThD on the doctrine of God's perfections in Karl Barth and two of his leading German speaking interpreters, Eberhard Jüngel and Wolf Krötke. He is the author of over forty book chapters and journal articles as well as of five books, namely Revisiting the Doctrine of the Divine Attributes: In Dialogue with Karl Barth, Eberhard Jüngel, and Wolf Krötke (Peter Lang, 2007), Ethics in the Presence of Christ (T&T Clark, 2012), The Holy Spirit (Zondervan Academic, 2015), The Lord is Good: Seeking the God of the Psalter (IVP Academic, 2018), and The Theology of the Christian Life: Imitating and Participating in God (Baker Academic, 2021).
Chris has continuing research interests in a variety of Christian doctrines, especially the doctrine of God and the doctrine of creation. He carries out this work in dialogue with a wide variety of thinkers from the classical Christian tradition, all in a way that is anchored in Holy Scripture and with a view to edifying the Christian community.
- CHTH111 Doing Theology
- CHTH213 Issues in Theology
- CHTH313 Issues in Theology (Advanced)
- CHTH212 Spirit, Church and Sacraments
- CHTH312 Spirit, Church and Sacraments (Advanced)
- CHTH416 The Theology of Bonhoeffer
Preferred areas of supervision
- Thomas Aquinas, Karl Barth and Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Patristic and Reformation Thought
- General Areas of Christian Doctrine, especially the Doctrine of God, the Trinity, Pneumatology and Christology
I’m working on two books. The first book explores the theological import of Peter’s and Paul’s speeches in the New Testament book of Acts for an account of the Christian faith. The second is in regards to the metaphysics of creation.
Current postgraduate students
- Jason Pickard (PhD) Owen and Torrance on the Priesthood of Christ
- Deborah Broome (PhD) Sociality in Augustine's City of God
- Brent Rempel (PhD) Trinity and Theology in the Theology of John Webster
- Jenny Hsu (PhD) An Alternative Approach to the Nestorian Controversy: A Comparison of Cyril’s and Nestorius’ Interpretation of Scripture and Its Implications for their Understanding of the Person and Work of Christ.
Completed postgraduate students
- Joel Banman (PhD) Christ Speaks Today: Biblical Interpretation in the Sermons of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, 1935-1940
- Gareth Bezett (MTheol) The Compatibility of Physicalist Anthropologies and Traditional Sacramental Theology
- Cameron Coombe (PhD) Moltmann's Use of Scripture
- Ed Masters (MTheol) Calvin on Ephesians 1 and The Christian Life
- Ann Thorp (PhD) Hilary of Poitier's Pneumatology
- Michael Bartholomaeus (PhD) Karl Barth’s Doctrine of Sanctification: An Exploration of Church Dogmatics §66
- Mark Jacobsen (MTheol) Galatians and Bonhoeffer on the Freedom of the Christian
- Jono Ryan (PhD) One Heart and Soul: Augustine’s Call to Community in a Divided Society
- Peter Ross (PhD) Pneumatology and Union: John Calvin and Pentecostal Theology
- Kate Dugdale (PhD) T.F. Torrance's Trinitarian Ecclesiology
- Cameron Coombe (MTheol) The Significance of the Cross for the Doctrine of the Trinity in the Theology of Juergen Moltmann
- Glenn Paddison (MTheol) Yves Congar’s Pneumatological Anthropology
- Hugh Bowron (MTheol) Robert Jenson’s Ontology of the Future: His Protest against Contentless Eschatology
- Cameron Surrey (PhD) Bearing the Burden: Forgiveness and the Glorified Wounds of Christ
- Andrea McDougall (PhD) Barth on the Humility of God and the Humility of the Christian
- Deborah Broome (MTheol) Living in Two Cities: Lessons for the Church Today from Augustine's 'City of God'
- Samuel Fernando (MTheol) Reality and Resurrection: In Dialogue with T.F. Torrance
- Jonathan Hicks (PhD) Trinity, Economy, and Scripture: A Theologically-Motivated Recovery of Didymus the Blind (Humanities Division Exceptional PhD thesis)
- Brian Dawson (MTheol) Crossing the Streams: Sources of Anglican Confirmation
- Rebekah Banman (MDiv Hons) Union with the Incarnate Saviour: Exploring the Soteriological Implications of the Incarnation and the Atonement in Dialogue with John Calvin and Thomas F. Torrance
- Don Fergus (PhD) Spatial Imagery in the Ecclesiology of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Mark Gingerich (MA) Reinhold Niebuhr and the Sermon on the Mount: In Dialogue with Stanley Hauerwas
- Renee Kwan Monkmann (MDiv Hons) An irrevocable covenant? Toward a renewed understanding of Paul’s reading of the history of Israel
- Laura Vander Velden (MA) Whence this evil? Toward a Christological and pastorally minded doctrine of providence in dialogue with Karl Barth
“Eschatology,” in The Oxford Handbook to Reformed Theology, ed. Michael Allen and Scott Swain, 610–620. New York: Oxford University Press, 2020.
“What is the Relationship between Creation and Covenant?” in “For us, but not to us”: Essays on Creation, Covenant, and Context in Honor of John H. Walton, ed. Adam Miglio, Caryn Reeder, Joshua Walton, and Kenneth Way, 113–125. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2020.
“Thomas F. Torrance and the Trinity,” in T&T Clark Handbook to Thomas F. Torrance, ed. Myk Habets and Paul D. Molnar, 161–172. London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2020.
“The Holy Spirit,” in The Oxford Handbook to Dietrich Bonhoeffer, ed. Michael Mawson and Philip G. Ziegler, 168–178. New York: Oxford University Press, 2019.
“Learning Jesus’ Prayer: Joseph Ratzinger on Christology,” in Benedict XVI: An Evangelical Appreciation of the Theology of Joseph Ratzinger, ed. Tim Perry, 126–141. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2019.
“What is the Relationship between God and the Church?” in Te Awa Rerenga Maha: Braided River, ed. Don Moffat, 73–84. Auckland: Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia, 2018.
"The Merits and Pitfalls of the Römerbrief on the God/World Relationship," Colloquium 50, no.1 (2018): 15-31.
“Revisiting the God/World Distinction,” Modern Theology 34, no. 2 (2018): 159–76.
The Lord is Good: Seeking the God of the Psalter. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2018.
“Review Essay: Honouring Scripture’s Living Lord: Katherine Sonderegger on the Divine Attributes,” Pro Ecclesia 27, no. 1 (2018): 43-47.
“Mediation and Reason: Some Reflections on the Right Way to Happiness in God,” in Revelation and Reason in Christian Theology: Proceedings of Theology Connect Conference, ed. Christopher C. Green and David I. Starling, 145–53. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2018.
“The Atonement and the Holy Spirit,” in The T&T Clark Companion to the Atonement, ed. Adam J. Johnson (London: Bloomsbury/T&T Clark, 2017), 77–93.
"Architectonics Matter: Some Advantages of Treating the Unicity of God in Advance of the Trinity of Persons, in Dialogue with Thomas Aquinas,” International Journal of Systematic Theology 19, no. 2 (2017): 130–4.
"You are Good and do Good:’ Some Remarks on Eternal Life and the Goodness of God,” in Eternal God—Eternal Life: Theological Explorations of the Concept of Immortality, ed. Philip G. Ziegler, 25–36. London: Bloomsbury Academic/T&T Clark, 2016.
“Locating the Divine Being: On Eberhard Jüngel’s Engagement with the Theology of Dietrich Bonhoeffer,” in Engaging Bonhoeffer: The Impact and Influence of Bonhoeffer’s Life and Thought, ed. Matthew Kirkpatrick, 121–37. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2016.
"Beyond Bonhoeffer in Loyalty to Bonhoeffer: Reconsidering Bonhoeffer’s Aversion to Theological Metaphysics", in Christ, Church and World, ed. Michael Mawson and Philip G. Ziegler, 32—43. London: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2016.
“Renewal through Union: Thomas F. Torrance on the New Basis of Ethics,” Participatio: A Journal of the Thomas F. Torrance Theological Fellowship 5 (2015): 45-55.
“'The Subject of Contemporization:'" The Holy Spirit and the Task of Theological Education.” The Pentecostal Educator 2, no. 2 (2015): 23-30.
The Holy Spirit, Grand Rapids: Zondervan Academic, 2015.
“Resurrection and Reality in the Theology of Dietrich Bonhoeffer,” The Bonhoeffer Legacy: Australasian Journal of Bonhoeffer Studies 2, no. 1 (2014): 1–13.
"Eberhard Jüngel’s Soteriologically Minded Doctrine of the Trinity: Some Commendations and Reservations,” in Indicative of Grace—Imperative of Freedom: Essays in Honour of Eberhard Jüngel, ed. R. Derek Nelson, 101–13. London: T&T Clark, 2014.
"Perfecting God", in Sanctified in Grace: Toward a Theology in the Christian Life, ed. Kent Eilers and Kyle Strobel, 75-88. London: T&T Clark, 2014.
"Calvin and the Threefold Office of Christ: Suggestive Teaching Regarding the Nature of the Intra-Divine Life?" in Ecumenical Perspectives on the Filioque, ed. Myk Habets, 107-19. London: T&T Clark, 2014.
"Bonhoeffer and Reformed Christology: Towards a Trinitarian Supplement", Theology Today 71 (Winter 2014): 28-42.
"The Aseity of God as a Material Evangelical Concern", in Journal of Reformed Theology 8 (2014): 61-78.
"The Person Interprets the Work: Reviewing an Important Theme in Bonhoeffer's Christology Lectures and Ethics Manuscripts", in A Spoke in the Wheel. The Political in the Theology of Dietrich Bonhoeffer / Dem Rad in die Speichen Fallen. Das Politische in der Theologie Dietrich Bonhoeffers, ed. Kirsten Busch Nielsen, Ralf Wüstenberg, and Jens Zimmerman, 164-77. Güstersloh: Güstersloher Verlagshaus, 2013.
"Perfections of God", in The Westminster John Knox Handbook to Karl Barth, ed. Richard E. Burnett, 157-161 (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2013).
"The Person and Work of Christ Revisited: In Dialogue with Karl Barth". Anglican Theological Review 95 (Winter 2013): 37-56.
"The Spirit and the Promise: On Becoming Aligned with the Way Things Really Are", in Apocalyptic and the Future of Theology: With and Beyond J. Louis Martyn, ed. Douglas Harink and Joshua B. Davis, 221-237. Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2012.
"Defending Actualist Ecclesiology: The Church and the Presence of Christ", Pro Ecclesia XX1 (Summer 2012): 267-279.
"Revelation in the Present Tense: On Rethinking Interpretation in the Light of the Prophetic Office of Jesus Christ", Journal of Theological Interpretation, 6.1 (2012): 23-42.
Ethics in the Presence of Christ. London: T&T Clark, 2012.
“‘A Specific Form of Relationship:’ On the Dogmatic Implicatons of Barth’s Account of Election and Commandment for His Theological Ethics,” in Trinity and Election in Contemporary Theology, ed. Michael T. Dempsey, 182-200. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2011.
“Barth on the Economy: In Dialogue with Kathryn Tanner,” in Commanding Grace: Studies in Karl Barth’s Ethics, ed. Daniel L. Migliore, 198-215. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2010.
“The Contemporaneity of God for Ethics Today: Paul’s Lehmann’s Contribution to a Neglected Theme, in Dialogue with Dietrich Bonhoeffer,” Studies in Christian Ethics 23 (August 2010): 284-99.
“‘The Indivisible Whole of God’s Reality:’ On the Agency of Jesus in Bonhoeffer’s Ethics,” International Journal of Systematic Theology 12 (July 2010): 283-301.
“Becoming One: The Christian Story and the Politics of Marriage,” in Human Sexuality and the Nuptial Mystery, ed. Roy R. Jeal, 131-47. Eugene, OR: Cascade Books, 2010.
“The Theological Function of the Doctrine of the Divine Attributes and the Divine Glory, with Special Reference to Karl Barth and his Reading of the Protestant Orthodox,” Scottish Journal of Theology 61 (May 2008): 206-23.
“God’s Attributes as God’s Clarities: Wolf Krötke’s Doctrine of the Divine Attributes,” International Journal of Systematic Theology 10 (January 2008): 54-72.
“Wholly Human and Wholly Divine, Humiliated and Exalted: Some Reformed Explorations in Bonhoeffer’s Christology Lectures,” Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology (November 2007): 210-25.
Revisiting the Doctrine of the Divine Attributes: In Dialogue with Karl Barth, Eberhard Jüngel, and Wolf Krötke. New York: Peter Lang, 2007.
“Disclosure without Reservation: Re-evaluating Divine Hiddenness,” Neue Zeitschrift für Systematische Theologie und Religionsphilosophie 48 (November 2006): 367-80.
“The Glory of God in the Theology of Eberhard Jüngel,” International Journal of Systematic Theology 8 (October 2006): 343-55.
“Eberhard Jüngel and Wolf Krötke: Toward a Trinitarian Doctrine of the Divine Attributes,” Toronto Journal of Theology 22 (Fall 2006): 159-62.