The purpose of the Laboratory Management team is to ensure compliance of the University of Otago, Wellington with legal operating standards and procedures relating to Health and Safety and the workplace environment. These are specifically the HSNO Act, Biosecurity Act and Health and Safety in Employment Act.
This relates in particular to the use of biological agents, chemicals and radioactive materials by personnel within the University of Otago, Wellington.
Process for new laboratory staff:
The Supervisor either downloads a New Laboratory Staff Form or collects the form from the Laboratory Manager. The new staff member fills it in and the subsequent training and reading is determined as a result of that procedure. Once the form is filled in, it is passed to the Laboratory Manager who will pass on the training forms to be completed within 2 months; as well as organise access to the appropriate secure area.
Manuals that assist with compliance are:
- HSNO Exempt Laboratory Manual-V.6 - February 2017 - Appendices
- UOW Containment and Transitional Manual v1.5 - February 2017 - Amendment Sheet and Appendices
- Lab Staff Form A - July 2018
- Lab Staff Form B Phlebotomy Staff Only - July 2018
- BLUE Standard Lab Training Record Sheet. C & T. V1.6 - April 2018
- PINK Basic Lab Training Record Sheet. C & T. V1.6 - April 2018
- PURPLE BRU Lab Training Record Sheet. C & T. V1.6 - April 2018
- Biohazard Safety Manual - March 2014
- List of research equipment available within the University of Otago Wellington