Te Tari Hauora Tūmatanui
We offer outstanding undergraduate and postgraduate study within Primary Health Care:
- Within the undergraduate medical curriculum we provide community-based learning programmes and co-ordinate professional development and ethics teaching.
- Our interprofessional postgraduate courses for health professionals foster research-informed excellence and innovation in the health sector. We offer Distance Learning, Masters and Doctorate courses
- Our department is homed within the University of Otago Wellington campus and is at the leading edge for interprofessional education.
Study with us
- Our interdisciplinary research activity informs practitioners, consumers, patients and policy makers about many aspects of health and primary health care.
- Our research strengths are in mental health, communication in health care, interprofessional education and health services research – with a focus on primary health care
For many years The University of Otago, Wellington; Mary Potter Hospice; and Te Omanga Hospice have offered a joint palliative medicine teaching programme. This programme involves students visiting patients in Palliative Care and then writing a reflection on this visit, with the option to submit a creative piece of work to accompany their reflection.
To enable the public and other educators to understand the power of health humanities to unlock learning, the University has established this webpage: The Art of Palliative Medicine. With student consent we respectfully display these works along with an excerpt of their reflection. We warmly acknowledge and thank the patients-as-teachers who support this educational programme.