Qualitative and quantitative research, designing research projects, ethical issues, survey methods, quantitative data analysis, statistics, types of data, data presentation, critical appraisal, research frameworks, comparison of methodologies.
|Paper title||Application of Research Methods|
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,018.75|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- AVME 785, AVMX 785
- Limited to
- MAvMed, MHealSc, PGDipAeroRT, PGDipHealSc, PGDipOccMed, MPHC, MTravMed, MGP
Healthcare professionals currently employed, or interested in work, in the aviation medicine or wider healthcare industry. Enrolments for this paper are limited, and it requires departmental permission. View more information about limitations of enrolment.
If you have not already done so, please contact the department for course advice before selecting your programme, email@example.com.
- More information link
View more information on the Department of Occupational and Aviation Medicine Unit's website
- Teaching staff
Course Director: Julie Myers
- Paper Structure
This paper covers:
- Choosing a research topic, design and method
- Research ethics
- Data-gathering: qualitative and quantitative methods
- Analysis and writing up: qualitative and quantitative research
- Practical aspects of research
- Critical evaluation of qualitative and quantitative research
- Teaching Arrangements
This Distance Learning paper is taught remotely.
It is run each year in the first semester.
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy, Information
literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
The learning outcomes for this paper are that students who successfully complete this paper will be able to:
- Critically appraise and synthesise literature pertinent to a specific research problem.
- Use basic statistical concepts and terminology accurately
- Describe a qualitative methodological approach appropriate for a specific research problem
- Apply appropriate ethical principles to the conduct of research
- Write a methodologically-sound postgraduate research proposal