Apply for the Postgraduate Diploma in Dental Technology (PGDipDentTech)Apply Now
Postgraduate Diploma in Dental Technology (PGDipDentTech)
DTEC 501 Advanced Dental Materials Science; and
Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Dental Technology (PGDipDentTech)
Admission to the Programme
- Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Health Sciences) on the advice of the Faculty of Dentistry.
- Every applicant must present evidence of ability for advanced level academic study, and
- have been admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Dental Technology, or
- have alternative qualifications and experience acceptable to the Dean of Dentistry (in considering an applicant's qualifications, regard will be given to the detail of the course of study followed, as well as the applicant's performance).
Structure of the Programme
- The programme of study shall consist of DTEC 501 and two of DTEC 502, DTEC 503, DTEC 504, DTEC 505.
- A candidate whose qualification for admission to the programme is a postgraduate diploma or equivalent may be exempted from papers to a maximum of 60 points, provided that the candidate's previous study is directly relevant to the proposed and approved programme of study.
- The programme of study shall be approved by the Faculty of Dentistry.
Duration of the Programme
- The duration of the programme shall normally be one academic year of full-time study or the equivalent in part-time study.
- A candidate shall satisfy the requirements for the diploma within two years of admission to the programme. A candidate may apply to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Health Sciences) for an extension of this time limit of up to one year.
- Any paper in which a candidate is enrolled in any year shall be examined in that year.
- Examinations shall consist of such written papers and such oral and practical examinations as the examiners may require.
- A candidate who fails an examination may, on the recommendation of the examiners, be permitted by the Faculty to be re-examined at another time.
Level of Award of the Diploma
The diploma may be awarded with distinction or with credit.
On the recommendation of the Faculty, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Health Sciences) may, in exceptional circumstances, approve a course of study which does not comply with these regulations.