Aims and activities of Genetics Otago
With ongoing funding and support from the University of Otago, Genetics Otago aims to:
- Establish Genetics Otago as New Zealand's primary centre for advanced genetics research and teaching
- Increase the profile of genetics research across New Zealand
- Develop grass-roots community engagement
- Develop links with those involved in the area of genetic research in New Zealand
- Develop and promote linkages with external organisations, including those within the tertiary sector and governmental agencies
- Assist with the development of international linkages in relation to genetics research
- Identify and promote research funding opportunities for genetics research
- Constitute working parties to develop major new initiatives
History of Genetics Otago
Associate Professor Peter Dearden was the first to recognise that, although genetics research was a growing force across many departments at the University of Otago, it was difficult for genetics research excellence to be fully recognised due to the unusual breadth of disciplines.
Peter proposed forming a collaborative research group to advocate for all genetics researchers at Otago, and to increase the public awareness of genetics research.
With the support of the University of Otago, Genetics Otago has gone from strength to strength since its inception in 2009.
Genetics Otago welcomes new members
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to be a part of this exciting group.
We extend a warm welcome to any new members.