Information correct as at June 17, 2014
All international students must have a valid student visa to study at the University of Otago.
When renewing your student visa you can either apply on campus, or send your application to Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
International students currently studying full time at the University of Otago may be eligible to apply for their visa through Student Visa Services on campus. There are a limited number of exceptions where applications need to be directed to Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Who can apply for a Visa-on-Campus
At Otago we are able to process most applications for student visas on campus. There are only a limited number of exceptions, when applications need to be directed to Immigration New Zealand.
We are not able to accept your application for a visa-on-campus if:
- You do not currently hold a valid visa (study, visit or work).
- You are not currently, or were not during the last enrolment period, a full-time student, unless you are an undergraduate finalist.
- You are currently under the University of Otago’s Academic Progress Policy, or under a similar policy on a professional programme.
- You are here on the Student Exchange Programme.
If you fall into any of the above categories, you need to apply through Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Please Note: Immigration New Zealand reserves the right to refuse applications submitted on campus and may request that you resubmit your application directly to the Palmerston North Immigration New Zealand branch.
How to apply for a Visa-on-Campus
- Please download and complete the Visa-on-Campus Application form. A hard copy of this form is also available for collection from the International Office.
- Read the Visa-on-Campus Application Information carefully.
- Applications may usually be submitted directly to Student Visa Services on Monday and Friday between 9.00am and 12.30pm, on Wednesday between 9.30am and 12.30pm, and on Tuesday and Thursday between 1.00pm and 4.00pm.
- Make sure you include all required documents. Only complete applications will be accepted.
- Pay the $200 (subject to change) visa fee at the Fees Office. You will need to present an authorisation slip from the Student Visa Services to make this payment.
- Once your visa application has been processed and approved by INZ, you will receive an e-mail from Student Visa Services to advise you to collect your passport. Passports can be collected on Wednesdays from 9.30am to 12.30pm and Fridays between 9.00am and 12.30pm only.
Processing Time for Visa-on-Campus
Most applications will take between five to thirty days to process.
Some of the factors to affect processing time include:
- Your application is submitted in a busy period (February, March or July).
- Findings on Medical or Police Certificates that need further assessment.
You might be emailed an interim visa from INZ the day after your current visa expires if your passport hasn’t been returned to you by then.
This email must be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org immediately to avoid losing access to resources.
- Immigration New Zealand (INZ) holds a record of all previous information and documents supplied by you.
- It is an offence to provide false or misleading information on your application form.
- We advise you not to book any overseas travel before your student visa has been issued.
International students may be able to work while studying. Conditions of eligibility are explained at this link: www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/study/canistudyinnewzealand/allaboutvisas/#work.
For information on your employment rights and responsibilities visit nzstudywork.immigration.govt.nz .
Student Visa Services
|Monday||Monday: 9am to 12.30pm|
|Tuesday||Tuesday: 1pm to 4pm|
|Wednesday||Wednesday: 9.30am to 12.30pm|
|Thursday||Thursday: 1pm to 4pm|
|Friday||Friday: 9am to 12.30pm|
University of Otago
Archway West building
Tel 64 3 479 4569
Fax 64 3 479 8367
University of Otago
PO Box 56
Apply through Immigration New Zealand (INZ)
Visit http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/study/ for information on requirements and the application process.
If applying in New Zealand please courier your application to:
Student Processing Unit, Immigration New Zealand
State Insurance Building, Level 6
61-75 Rangitikei Street
Palmerston North 4440
Tel: 0508 558 855 (a free number from a landline telephone only)
or 09 914 4100 (a toll number from a mobile telephone)
Fax: 06 952 7758
Once your passport has been returned from INZ with your new visa, please take it to the University Information Centre so that we can update our records.