Information correct as at January 21, 2014
Please note: It is advisable to book an appointment time to see the Student Visa team about your visa application.
All international students must have a valid student visa to study at the University of Otago.
When renewing your student visa you can either apply on campus, or send your application to Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
International students currently studying full time at the University of Otago may be eligible to apply for their visa through Student Visa Services on campus. There are a limited number of exceptions where applications need to be directed to Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Who can apply for a Visa-on-Campus
At Otago we are able to process most applications for student visas on campus. There are only a limited number of exceptions, when applications need to be directed to Immigration New Zealand.
We are not able to accept your application for a visa-on-campus if:
- You do not currently hold a valid visa (study, visit or work).
- You are not a full-time student, unless you are an undergraduate finalist.
- You have failed more than a third of your papers since your last student visa application was approved.
- You are here on the Student Exchange Programme.
If you fall into any of the above categories, you need to apply through Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Please Note: Immigration New Zealand reserves the right to refuse applications submitted on campus and may request that you resubmit your application directly to the Palmerston North Immigration New Zealand branch.
How to apply for a Visa-on-Campus
- Please download and complete the Visa-on-Campus Application form. A hard copy of this form is also available for collection from the International Office.
- Read the Visa-on-Campus Application Information carefully.
- Applications may usually be submitted directly to Student Visa Services on Monday and Friday between 9.00am and 12.30pm, on Wednesday between 9.30am and 12.30pm, and on Tuesday and Thursday between 1.00pm and 4.00pm.
- To make an appointment to submit your visa application. To do this please follow the steps below;
- Visit: http://www.supersaas.com/schedule/OtagoGlobal/Visa_Appointments_2013__2014 and create a login name (you can use this name every time you make a new appointment).
- Select an appointment time (the system will process your request and you will receive a confirmation email).
- Make sure you include all required documents. Only complete applications will be accepted.
- Pay the $200 (subject to change) visa fee at the Fees Office. You will need to present an authorisation slip from the Student Visa Services to make this payment.
- Once your visa application has been processed and approved by INZ, you will receive an e-mail from Student Visa Services to advise you to collect your passport. The passport collection is on Wednesday and Fridays only between 9.00am and 12.30pm
Processing Time for Visa-on-Campus
Most applications will take between five to thirty days to process.
Some of the factors to affect processing time include:
- Your application is submitted in a busy period (February, March or July).
- Findings on Medical or Police Certificates that need further assessment.
You might be emailed an interim visa from INZ the day after your current visa expires if your passport hasn’t been returned to you by then.
This email must be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org immediately to avoid losing access to resources.
- Immigration New Zealand (INZ) holds a record of all previous information and documents supplied by you.
- It is an offence to provide false or misleading information on your application form.
- We advise you not to book any overseas travel before your student visa has been issued.
International university students may be granted permission to work for up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year if they are:
- undertaking a full-time, course of study of at least two academic years duration; or
- undertaking a full-time course of study culminating in a New Zealand qualification that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category; or
- undertaking a full-time course of study of at least one academic year duration as part of an approved tertiary exchange scheme;
Students may be granted permission to work full-time during the summer holiday period at the end of each academic year, provided they are undertaking a full-time course of study of 12 months or more duration.
Student Visa Service
University of Otago
Archway West building
Tel 64 3 479 4569
Fax 64 3 479 8367
University of Otago
PO Box 56
Apply through Immigration New Zealand (INZ)
If applying directly through INZ, you must use their Student Visa Application form, which can be downloaded from the Study forms and guides section on the INZ website at http://www.immigration.govt.nz
Please fill in this form and send your complete application to INZ, making sure that you include with your application all required documents - as listed on the form.
Incomplete applications with any information or documents missing will be returned to you unprocessed.
Students submitting their application directly to INZ must include Police and Medical Certificates, if required, with their application. To find out if these are due please call the INZ National Call Centre on 0508 558 855 (toll free) within New Zealand, or 64 9 914 4100 from overseas (toll call). The Call Centre is open from 7am to 7pm, Monday to Friday.
Once your passport has been returned from INZ with your new visa, please take it to the University Information Centre or Student Visa Services office so that we can update our records.
Please courier your application to:
Student Processing Unit
State Insurance Building, Level 6
61-75 Rangitikei Street
Palmerston North 4440
Tel 0508 558 855 Fax 06 952 7758
Enquiries made offshore should be directed to your nearest New Zealand Embassy or High Commission. For more information please visit http://www.immigration.govt.nz