Welcome to the University of Otago's website for the Arts Fellowships
The University of Otago 2016 Arts Fellows. From left to right: Chris Gendall - Mozart Fellow, val smith - Caroline Plummer Fellow in Community Dance, Miranda Parkes - Frances Hodgkins Fellow, Barbara Else - University of Otago College of Education/Creative New Zealand Children's Writer in Residence, Victor Rodger - Robert Burns Fellow.
In his editorial notes for the quarterly Landfall in March 1959, Charles Brasch argued that 'part of a university's proper business is to act as nurse to the arts, or, more exactly, to the imagination as it expresses itself in the arts and sciences. Imagination may flourish anywhere. But it should flourish as a matter of course in the university, for it is only through imaginative thinking that society grows, materially and intellectually.'
At the University of Otago we believe that our writers, artists, composers, musicians and dancers have a vital role to play in the health and well-being of our community - not just the University community or the Dunedin community, but the wider community of New Zealand.We look to them to offer us visions we cannot make ourselves; we rely on their craft to generate the experiences which will challenge us, entertain us, provoke and reassure us, and tell us who we are.
The Otago Arts Fellows for 2016 are
- Victor Rodger, Robert Burns Fellow
- Chris Gendall, Mozart Fellow
- Miranda Parkes, Frances Hodgkins Fellow
- Barbara Else, UoO College of Education/Creative New Zealand Children's Writers in Residence
- val smith, Caroline Plummer Fellow in Community Dance
2017 University of Otago Arts Fellows announced
The Vice-Chancellor recently announced the new group of five Arts Fellows who have been apointed for next year. Read about the 2017 Otago Arts Fellows here.
The Otago Fellowships:
- The Robert Burns Fellowship
- The Mozart Fellowship
- The Frances Hodgkins Fellowship
- The University of Otago College of Education/Creative New Zealand Children's Writer in Residence
- The Caroline Plummer Fellowship in Community Dance
Application Forms for the new round of Fellowships will be available in March each year.