Te Tari Whakapōtaetaka
Graduation at Otago
Graduation is a chance for you to mark the completion of your studies and to celebrate your success with your family, friends and the University community. It also marks your admission to the full and permanent membership of the University.
The University currently holds more than ten graduation ceremonies each year. You may choose whether to graduate in May, August or December, but you must graduate at the ceremony allocated to your particular qualification. If you are receiving two qualifications which would normally be awarded at two separate ceremonies, you may choose one ceremony at which you will receive both.
You can choose whether to graduate in person or in absentia. If you graduate in person, you will be 'capped' by the Chancellor and your degree or diploma will be presented to you on stage at the ceremony. If you graduate in absentia, you do not attend the ceremony. Your name will be listed in the ceremony booklet (but not read out at the ceremony) and your degree or diploma will be sent to you by courier in the week following the ceremony or, if you are in Dunedin, you can come and collect it. Even if you choose to graduate in absentia, your qualification can be awarded only at an official graduation ceremony.
Someone who has completed the requirements of their qualification, but has not yet graduated, is termed a "graduand". After graduation, you become a "graduate" of the University.
The main objective of the Graduation Office is to administer all central aspects of the University's graduation programme including applications to graduate, ticket and regalia requests, the production of Graduation Publications, the approval of applications to defer graduating and the co-ordination of the ceremonial aspects of graduation.
Graduation Ceremony Dates for 2014
The venue for all ceremonies as listed below will be the Dunedin Town Hall. Please note that two ceremonies will be held on some dates and the start times of the ceremonies vary, as detailed below: *
- Saturday 3 May 2014 at 1.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in Applied Science, Biomedical Sciences, Consumer and Applied Sciences, Physical Education, and Surveying
- Saturday 3 May 2014 at 4.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in Science
- Saturday 10 May 2014 at 3.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in Commerce
- Saturday 17 May 2014 at 1.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in Arts, Education, Music, Teaching, and Theology
- Saturday 17 May 2014 at 4.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in Law, Dentistry, Health Sciences, Medicine, Medical Laboratory Science, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, and Radiation Therapy
- Saturday 16 August 2014 at 3.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in all disciplines
- Saturday 6 December 2014 at 1.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in Physiotherapy, and MB ChB
- Saturday 6 December 2014 at 4.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in Dentistry, Pharmacy, Medicine (except MB ChB), and Medical Laboratory Science
- Wednesday 10 December 2014 at 1.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in Arts, Music, and Theology
- Wednesday 10 December 2014 at 4.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in Law, and Education
- Saturday 13 December 2014 at 1.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in Applied Science, Consumer and Applied Sciences, Physical Education, Surveying, Biomedical Sciences, Health Sciences, and Commerce
- Saturday 13 December 2014 at 4.00pm - Degrees and diplomas in Science
Monday - Friday
8.30am - 5.00pm
Telephone 64 3 479 8239 Fax 64 3 479 5490 firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Otago
PO Box 56
University of Otago
Clocktower Building (ground floor, south end)
The Graduation Office is number 71 on the campus map.
Graduation Office Staff
Tel 64 3 479 8077
Glenice is the Group Leader of the Graduation Office. She is responsible for organising and managing the day to day activities and ceremonies for the Graduation Office.
|Jeana Jackson |
Tel 64 3 479 8239
Jeana is responsible for graduation applications, ticket and regalia requests and related enquiries.
Tel 64 3 479 8436
Tania is responsible for processing replacement degree requests and assists with applications, ticket and regalia requests and related enquiries.
Tania works part time between the hours of 8.30am - 12.15pm.
Tel 64 3 479 8077
Jenny is currently on secondment to the SMS Project.