|Value||Standard value of NZ$6,000 for first year (exceptional applicants may be offered this scholarship at a higher value and a longer tenure) |
|Opening date||1 July|
|Closing date||15 August|
Established by the University of Otago Council in 2006 to assist students who have demonstrated all-round ability and who exhibit leadership potential to attend the University of Otago.
- be New Zealand citizens or New Zealand permanent residents, or have completed Year 12 and have completed or are in the process of completing Year 13 at a New Zealand school (or an equivalent foundation level course at a New Zealand tertiary institution)
- be intending to enrol for full-time study at the University of Otago for the first time the year following the closing date
- have at least NCEA Level 2 with a merit commendation or equivalent
- provide details of involvement in activities at school, in the community, and/or in sport and cultural pursuits in which they have shown leadership
A reference will be sought directly from the applicant's school.
Recipients of the Otago Daily Times Class Act Award will have an automatic entitlement to this scholarship, subject to their meeting the general eligibility requirements and obtaining entrance to the University. The normal tenure conditions will apply.
You are likely to find the Frequently Asked Questions helpful and we recommend that you read them before starting your application.
Selection of recipients:
The Selection Committee consisting of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor External Engagement, the Director of Planning and Funding, the Director of Accommodation Services, the Head of Schools Liaison, the Manager, Undergraduate Entrance Scholarship, or their nominees, and up to four further nominees of the Scholarships Committee, shall consider the following factors in recommending the award of the scholarships:
- Academic ability (a minimum of NCEA Level 2 awarded with merit, or equivalent, is normally required for consideration).
- Demonstrated leadership potential.
- Sporting and/or cultural involvement.
- Contribution to the community.
Scholarship tenure and value
- Standard value of $6,000 in year one.
- Standard tenure is one year.
- For exceptional applicants, this scholarship will be awarded at a higher value and a longer tenure.
- Tenure in years two and three requires a GPA of 5.0 or better (B) for the previous year.
- The University of Otago Dux Scholarship may be held concurrently at the value of $3,000 when this scholarship is held at the standard value of $6,000.
Please note that you will be required to go through the first stages of enrolment at the University of Otago to access the Entrance Scholarship online application. Apply for enrolment at the University of Otago now.
The Scholarship Terms and Conditions can be found here. Of particular note is that recipients of this University of Otago Entrance Scholarship are guaranteed placement in a Residential College for their first year of study, although the University does not guarantee placement at the recipient’s Residential College preferences.