|Opening date||1 July|
|Closing date||15 August|
Established by the University of Otago Council in 2006 to assist students who have demonstrated all-round ability and who exhibit leadership potential to attend the University of Otago.
- be New Zealand citizens or New Zealand permanent residents, or have completed Year 12 and have completed or are in the process of completing Year 13 at a New Zealand school
- be intending to enrol for full-time study at the University of Otago for the first time the year following the closing date
- have at least NCEA Level 2 with a merit commendation or equivalent
- provide details of involvement in activities at school, in the community, and/or in sport and cultural pursuits in which they have shown leadership
- A reference will be sought directly from the applicant's school
Recipients of the Otago Daily Times Class Act Award will have an automatic entitlement to this scholarship, subject to their meeting the general eligibility requirements and obtaining entrance to the University. The normal tenure conditions will apply.
Selection of recipients:
The Selection Committee consisting of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor External Engagement, the Director of Planning and Funding, the Director of Accommodation Services, the Head of Schools Liaison, the Manager, Undergraduate Entrance Scholarship, or their nominees, and up to four further nominees of the Scholarships Committee, shall consider the following factors in recommending the award of the scholarships:
- Academic ability (a minimum of NCEA Level 2 awarded with merit, or equivalent, is normally required for consideration).
- Demonstrated leadership potential.
- Sporting and/or cultural involvement.
- Contribution to the community.
Scholarship tenure and value
- One year
- $6,000 for year 1
- The University of Otago Dux Scholarship may be held concurrently at the value of $3,000
Please note that you will be required to go through the first stages of enrolment at the University of Otago to access the scholarship application process. Apply now.
You are likely to find the Guide to Application helpful and we recommend that you read it, particularly for information about referees.
The Scholarship Terms and Conditions can be found here. Of particular note is that recipients of this University of Otago Entrance Scholarship are guaranteed placement in a Residential College for their first year of study, although the University does not guarantee placement at the recipient’s Residential College preferences.