About the Exchange Programme
Students from partner universities can attend Otago for either one or two semesters on exchange, pay no tuition fees and credit the work they complete at Otago back to their home degree. This is made possible under a bi-lateral agreement which has been signed by your home university and the University of Otago.
The Exchange Office of the University of Otago is dedicated to facilitating the exchange of students and assisting both outgoing and incoming exchange students to take part in this unique international experience.
Your first point of contact when applying to come to the University of Otago as an exchange student should be the Exchange Office at your home institution. So if you have not yet done so, please contact your home university for more information about the requirements to come to the University of Otago as an exchange student.
University of Otago worldwide exchange partners
If your home university is not on this list then you are not eligible for student exchange but can come to the University of Otago as an international study abroad student.
Further information for Study Abroad students
Complete our online application by clicking the Apply Now button on this page
Gather and scan your supporting documents before you start. As you go through the online application, you will be required to upload your supporting documents as follows:
- Original or certified copies of all previous tertiary level studies undertaken (a full academic transcript showing all subjects attempted, including failures, marks, or grades). The International Office will also accept documents that have been certified/notarised by staff of the Exchange office at your home institution.
- A key/guide to the grading system must also be included.
- Evidence of English language proficiency (if applicable).
- Documents not in English must be accompanied by official English language translations.
- You are required to provide proof of your identity; this is usually achieved by providing a certified copy of the personal details page of your passport or a birth certificate (in English). A scanned document may be uploaded in the first instance, but a 'hard copy' original or certified version of that document will be required in order to complete your enrolment. Information on certified/notarised documents.
As soon as you have completed your online application, your proof of identity document must be posted to:
University of Otago
PO Box 56
We will contact you directly if additional information is required.
Language of instruction
English is the language of instruction.
While there is no limit on the number of students accepted to a particular course, entry to any course is based on relevant academic background.
- some Otago courses such as Master of Business Administration (MBA), Wildlife Management and Marine Science are restricted in admissions - see the notes in the course catalogue.
- the following courses are not open to exchange students: Medicine, Dentistry, Psychiatry, Physiotherapy, Pharmacology, Pharmacy or any other clinical course.
Course Load Requirements
Minimum = 54 Points per semester
Maximum = 90 Points per semester
Additional information on academic work load and points
If you are considering coming to the University of Otago as a Study Abroad or Exchange student you may wish to have a look at the papers that are available.
Please note: Not all of these papers are available to International students.
The University of Otago offers new exchange students a free course in February each year focusing on study, language and cultural skills. Prepare for Otago is designed to be an extended orientation course. It will focus on the elements of Academic English students will need while studying at the University of Otago, and there will be a strong emphasis on language practice. This course will also offer students the chance to familiarise themselves with the New Zealand accent and some aspects of New Zealand academic culture before lectures start.
For information on course objectives, dates and application form, please download the Prepare for Otago application form (605K PDF format).
Study options for International students whose first language is not English (1MB PDF format).
If you have any further queries please ask the International Office for further details on the application procedures.