Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Apply now for accommodation in 2018

Start your accommodation application

Are you eligible to apply?

  • Current or future student of the University of Otago.
  • Prospective students from other institutions may apply for limited places in City College and Salmond College.
  • See more about the application process

When to apply

Full year and first semester

  • Applications open 1 August for full academic year accommodation
  • Study Abroad/Exchange students may apply from 1 August for first semester
  • Postgraduate students are welcome to apply at any time for accommodation at Abbey College

Second semester

Applications open 1 April each year

Key Dates

  • Full academic year accommodation in the residential colleges should be made before the end of September for selection on the 1 October
  • International students eligible for first semester accommodation should apply before 1 December each year
  • Applications received after these dates may be considered as places become available

Important information

  • The University of Otago requires accommodation applications be made online
  • This is a separate process from applying to study on eVision
  • Students who have attended or are attending a New Zealand secondary school in 2016 or 2017 require a Common Confidential Reference Form completed by their school on their behalf
  • Make an online request for this document
  • Students that did not attend a New Zealand secondary school but attended or are attending school in 2016 or 2017 need to print the CCRF PDF file and complete section A then forward it to their school for completion
  • CCRF PDF File (PDF format, 85KB)
  • Students applying for an undergraduate college who have not been attending or attended secondary school in the past two years are required to provide two character references. 
    These should be emailed to and will be attached to the accommodation application.  These must be provided to be considered for a place in a residential college
  • Students that are transferring from another tertiary institution will be considered for a place once they have an unconditional academic offer from the University of Otago. 
  • Students transferring from another tertiary institution for second semester, should contact the Student Accommodation Centre as soon as they have an unconditional academic offer to ensure their accommodation application is forwarded to their first preference without delay