University of Otago students
If you are planning to attend University of Otago please start the process of applying for a Residential College or the University Flats through eVision.
You will need to select a qualification first and then select Apply Now to register through eVision.
After you have created your eVision account find the link on the right to apply for a Residential College or University Flats.
You are able to change your selected qualification through eVision easily if you are unsure what you would like to study next year.
Otago Polytechnic, Pathway | Te Huarahi programme or other institutions
Otago Polytechnic students can only apply for limited places to stay at Salmond College. Pathway | Te Huarahi programme students can apply for Salmond College.
Are you eligible to apply?
- You must be a current or future student of the University of Otago, the Pathway | Te Huarahi programme or Otago Polytechnic.
- See more about the application process
When to apply
Full year and semester 1
- Applications open 1 August for full academic year accommodation.
Applications open 1 April each year.
- Full academic year accommodation applications for Residential Colleges should be made before 30 September for selection on 1 October.
- Initial offers will be emailed from 7 October, or advised if they are on the general waiting list.
- Applications continue to be accepted after 1 October, but will not be considered for the first round of offers.
- Applications received after these dates may be considered as places become available.
Full academic year accommodation applications for University Flats should be made before 1 November.
International students currently based in New Zealand follow the same accommodation application procedure and key dates as outlined above, for studies commencing 2023. This includes international students eligible for the 2023 Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship for International Students and who are able to commence studies on campus – applications for accommodation are due by 30 September.
- The University of Otago requires accommodation applications be made online.
- Students who have attended or are attending a New Zealand secondary school in 2021 or 2022 require a Common Confidential Reference Form completed by their school on their behalf.
Make an online request for a Common Confidential Reference
- Students who did not attend a New Zealand secondary school, but attended or are attending school in 2021 or 2022, need to print the CCRF PDF file and complete section A, and then forward it to their school for completion.
CCRF PDF File (PDF).
- Students applying for a Residential College who are not attending or have not attended secondary school in the past 2 years are required to provide two character references.
These should be emailed to email@example.com and will be attached to the accommodation application. These must be provided to be considered for a place in a Residential College.
- Students who are transferring from another tertiary institution will be considered for a place once they have an unconditional academic offer from the University of Otago.
- Students transferring from another tertiary institution for semester 2 should contact the Student Accommodation Centre as soon as they have an unconditional academic offer to ensure their accommodation application is forwarded to their first preference without delay.