University of Otago students
If you are planning to attend University of Otago please start the process of applying for a Residential College or the University Flats through eVision.
You will need to select a qualification first and then select Apply Now to register through eVision.
After you have created your eVision account find the link on the right to apply for a Residential College or University Flats.
You are able to change your selected qualification through eVision easily if you are unsure what you would like to study next year.
Otago Polytechnic, Foundation Studies or other institutions
Otago Polytechnic students can only apply for limited places to stay at Salmond College. Foundation Students can apply for Salmond College or St Margaret's College.
Are you eligible to apply?
- You must be a current or future student of the University of Otago, Foundation Studies course or Otago Polytechnic.
- See more about the application process
When to apply
Full year and first semester
- Applications open 1 August for full academic year accommodation.
- Study Abroad/Exchange students may apply from 1 August for first semester.
- Postgraduate students are welcome to apply at any time for accommodation at Abbey College.
Applications open 1 April each year.
- Full academic year accommodation in the residential colleges should be made before the end of September for selection on the 1 October.
- Initial offers will be emailed from 8 October, or advised if they are on the general waiting list.
- Applications continue to be accepted after 1 October, but will not be considered for the first round of offers.
- International students eligible for first semester accommodation should apply before 1 December each year.
- Applications received after these dates may be considered as places become available.
- The University of Otago requires accommodation applications be made online.
- Students who have attended or are attending a New Zealand secondary school in 2017 or 2018 require a Common Confidential Reference Form completed by their school on their behalf.
- Make an online request for a Common Confidential Reference
- Students that did not attend a New Zealand secondary school, but attended or are attending school in 2017 or 2018 need to print the CCRF PDF file and complete section A and then forward it to their school for completion. CCRF PDF File (PDF format, 85KB).
- Students applying for an undergraduate college who have not been attending or attended secondary school in the past two years are required to provide two character references.
These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be attached to the accommodation application. These must be provided to be considered for a place in a residential college.
- Students that are transferring from another tertiary institution will be considered for a place once they have an unconditional academic offer from the University of Otago.
- Students transferring from another tertiary institution for second semester, should contact the Student Accommodation Centre as soon as they have an unconditional academic offer to ensure their accommodation application is forwarded to their first preference without delay.