Our postgraduate programmes provide clinically-orientated academic training for a wide range of health and related professions.
The programmes are mainly distance taught which allows study both from within New Zealand and internationally.
|Medical Practitioners||Allied Health Professionals|
|Postgraduate Diploma in Musculoskeletal Medicine||✔|
|Postgraduate Certificate in Musculoskeletal Medicine||✔|
|On-campus courses in Musculoskeletal Medicine||✔|
|Master of Health Sciences (Musculoskeletal Management)||✔||✔|
|Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences (Musculoskeletal Management)||✔||✔|
|Postgraduate Certificate in Health Sciences (Musculoskeletal Management)||✔||✔|
|Pain and Pain Management|
|Master of Health Sciences (Pain and Pain Management)||✔||✔|
|Postgraduate Diploma in Health Sciences (Pain and Pain Management)||✔||✔|
|Postgraduate Certificate in Health Sciences (Pain and Pain Management)||✔||✔|
The emphasis is on acquiring both practical skills and theoretical knowledge from an evidence-based perspective within the biopsychosocial framework endorsed by the International Association for the Study of Pain.
Participants should become more effective in assessing, diagnosing, managing and rehabilitating people presenting with musculoskeletal and other pain problems, with particular appreciation of the contributions from a range of health professionals in primary and secondary care.
Critical appraisal skills are taught as part of the programmes, and students may be supported in developing their postgraduate study to Masters and eventually PhD level.
10 reasons to study with us
- Distance delivery makes it possible to study both from within New Zealand and internationally.
- We offer a broad range of paper topics that cover almost all major areas of musculoskeletal practice.
- Qualification staircase: start with the Postgraduate Certificate and add papers to earn a diploma or master’s.
- Our qualifications are the only New Zealand programmes in musculoskeletal and pain management.
- Teaching staff are active researchers and clinicians, encouraging rigour in clinical reasoning and using a strong evidence base.
- The programme structure allows flexibility to build your academic success and at a pace that suits you.
- Benefit from the support and knowledge of highly committed staff, interested in encouraging students to develop their careers.
- We run a truly inter-professional programme with staff and students from multiple disciplines including medicine, nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, osteopathy and psychology.
- Students with our qualifications offer specialist skills for patients with musculoskeletal and pain problems in New Zealand.
- As Otago students you are able to make use of the extensive facilities of the institution, which is New Zealand’s oldest and most research-intensive University.
How to apply for enrolment
When you’re ready, click the ‘Apply Now’ button on the webpage for the programme you wish to enrol in. This takes you to eVision where you will create your ‘student portal’. Your eVision portal will be your one-stop shop for study-related information. Using eVision you can apply to study, access all important study-related information, examination results, and maintain your personal information. eVision is accessible anytime, anywhere using the internet and mobile devices.
For further information
Please contact the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Musculoskeletal Medicine for further information:
Restricted to registered medical practitioners, these courses are a unique opportunity to greatly improve skills in clinical examination, manual therapy, needling and injection techniques. MSME 701 is a pre-requisite for enrolment in MSME 709.
- Venue: Christchurch
- Date: 21-29 March 2019
- Venue: Christchurch
- Date: 10-16 August 2019 (to be confirmed)