Key basic legal and governance principles and frameworks, which are commonly present and crucially important in commercial transactions and business situations generally.
The goal of this paper is to understand the civil legal system; use of legal language; the law of contract; context in which professional legal advisors work; planning and structuring so that business is conducted efficiently within the law; common legal remedies; and relevant court processes.
|Paper title||Business Law|
|Teaching period||5th Non standard period (31 July 2023 - 15 September 2023) (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,355.75|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- BMBA 501
- Limited to
- Only available to students enrolled in the Chinese Language version of the MBA.
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- More information link
For information on the parallel paper available for the Chinese Language version of the MBA, please see CMBA501
- Teaching staff
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
Global perspective, interdisciplinary perspective, lifelong learning, communication, critical thinking, ethics, information literacy, self-motivation, teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
As an overall objective, this paper aims to familiarise participants with key basic legal principles that are commonly present and crucially important in commercial transactions and business situations generally.
Students who successfully complete the paper are expected to have:
- Acquired familiarity with the civil legal system and confidence in the use of legal language
- Developed the skill of recognising and identifying legal problems, especially in the law of contract
- Appreciated the context in which professional legal advisors work (so better to utilise their expertise)
- Understood the need for careful planning and structuring so that business is conducted efficiently and within the law
- Become acquainted with common legal remedies and relevant court processes