An exploration of current theory and research on learning and teaching relevant to a broad range of educational settings.
EDUC 403 Perspectives on Teaching and Learning
- Theories of learning:
- Explore and critique a range of theories of learning, such as information processing, and social cognitive theory, and
- Consider their application to learning contexts.
- Assessment (formative and
- Understand approaches to assessment and how they impact upon student learning.
- Understand metacognition,
- how it impacts on academic success, and
- how metacognitive thinking can be scaffolded.
- Teacher and learner beliefs and motivation:
- Understand the part that affective factors, such as self efficacy beliefs, have on student success.
|Paper title||Perspectives on Teaching and Learning|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,120.06|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,439.89|
- Limited to
- Limited to: PGDipEdLn, MEdLn
- Teaching staff
Students will be expected to access required readings via the library and the Internet and to source their own relevant readings.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship,
Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy,
Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
By the end of this paper, students will be able to:
- Comprehend the richness and complexity of teaching.
- Apply current perspectives of how people learn.
- Explore options for teaching approaches for different learning outcomes.
- Identify and evaluate a wide range of research on teaching and learning.
- Gain an enhanced understanding of themselves as learners.